Notices

Opinions on Nextrail Trailer

Old 02-09-2016, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Opinions on Nextrail Trailer

Hello all,
I'm looking at a used boat that being sold with a 2003 NextTrail aluminum trailer. I've never heard of them, does anyone have an opinion or experience with the brand of boat trailers?
Old 02-09-2016, 09:46 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

They are middle of the road for that category of trailer (bolt-together aluminum).
All bolt-together trailers are in the same league.
Two things that matter most:

-Quality of the components spec'd when originally bought/built.
-Length of the trailer fame compared to the boat. Some cheap trailer builders lop the frame off just behind the axles, and extend wood or other bunks way beyond the last trailer cross member. Nextrail typically does not do this. But overall, IMHO, Nextrail trailers do not wear that well over time, especially 13 years.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:11 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks, good information to keep in mind.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:17 PM
Registered

Received 596 Likes on 242 Posts

I know most people here don't care for them but I bought one new in 2002 ,triple 3500 lb torsion bar axles and discs on 2 axles.

I had 12000 sitting on it for years with short hauls and than I towed 7000 on it all over Florida for years on it.

It was a bit small for the 12000 but I knew that going in but it never failed.

I am impressed how well the axles look and have held up.

I will never own another boat trailer with springs.

Still a great trailer ,I have not had one problem with it other than replacing the jack and new lights.

I have had far worst in the past.

Last edited by tommymonza; 02-09-2016 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:28 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

I can tell you they seem like a nice company to work with. I bought my Nextrail used. The original bunks had twisted. Actually bending the brackets. I called them, as the second owner, figuring I would have to pay for new ones. They sent me new ones no charge. The original boat on it had steps. Mine does not. So, I made new bunks. Replaced every U bolt, nut and bolt with stainless. I haven't got a lot of miles on the trailer, but it tows straight as an arrow at highway speeds. I'm very satisfied at this point.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:24 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

I bought one new for 5K in 2004, picked it up at the factory.......triple axle, 10,500 capacity for a 32 ft boat.

In 2010 ish, I spent $2500 rebuilding it (corrosion ate it up). Leaf springs, 2 of 3 axles, all bolted hardware and new bunks. Sold it in 2011 for $3500 to the first guy that came to look at it. I strongly suspect it was the owner of the "Cashbar Fountain"......he had a brand new, submerged 35 Fountain that he needed to move out of an expensive boat yard.

I would buy another one if the price was right.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Great trailers
Old 02-10-2016, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 596 Likes on 242 Posts

Any saltwater dipped trailer with springs and axles that is older than 5 years is going to need axles and is most likely on its second set of springs.

The springed axles rust and fail right at the ends where they are welded to the tube and than some cheap spray on galvanizing covers the weld.

Torsion bar axles are not welded after the galvanizing process.

Old trick I learned from a old timer that seemed to prolong the life of springed axles on my daily dipped parasail boat trailers.

Drill a hole in the axle and tap for a plug and fill with transmission fluid. . The fluid is thin and tends to weep into the metal. Just don't let the axle fail or you will have a environment disaster.. Do not do it to torsion axle though.

Last edited by tommymonza; 02-11-2016 at 09:03 AM.