Reliability and how you define it >

Reliability and how you define it

Notices

Reliability and how you define it

Old 02-20-2016, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 730 Likes on 327 Posts
Default Reliability and how you define it

I've been reading all the recent threads regarding engine subsystems i.e heads, cams etc. and all the various parts the engine builders ( pro and individual ) discuss and/or use to build a complete engine. Now I hope I don't start a brush fire but how would you engine builders define the reliability of the engines you build since it seems like your frequently building engines that are different due to individual components or assemblies vs. building a run of identical engines, testing a couple and gathering failure date from those in service ?

And should there be some reliability data available when someone like me with marginal engine technical knowledge approached a builder about having a engine in the upper 500 hp to mid 600 hp range built ? Unless I'm missing something there are a number of you out there building similar engines powerwise with dissimilar components and a variety of end results.

Or am I thinking rainbows and unicorns ?

ed
Old 02-20-2016, 12:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 798 Likes on 366 Posts

Pretty simple, to make more hp either takes more cu inches, power adder or higher rpms w more aggressive valve train, cam, springs etc. You will get 50 DIFFERENT responses as to longevity/reliability AND it all depends how its driven. Ive seen claims of 1000+hp blower motors using 400 hr rebuild intervals , personally at that hp level i would be doing teardown at 100 hours IF ran hard ( in boost at 5800+rpms)
. A 675 hp 502 w really aggressive cam turning 6400 at wot ALOT is also going to need to be looked at much sooner than a 550hp 502 that turns 5600 and spends its life at 3400 cruising easy ( could easily go 400 hours)
Old 02-20-2016, 12:35 PM
Registered

Received 670 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
Pretty simple, to make more hp either takes more cu inches, power adder or higher rpms w more aggressive valve train, cam, springs etc. You will get 50 DIFFERENT responses as to longevity/reliability AND it all depends how its driven. Ive seen claims of 1000+hp blower motors using 400 hr rebuild intervals , personally at that hp level i would be doing teardown at 100 hours IF ran hard ( in boost at 5800+rpms)
. A 675 hp 502 w really aggressive cam turning 6400 at wot ALOT is also going to need to be looked at much sooner than a 550hp 502 that turns 5600 and spends its life at 3400 cruising easy ( could easily go 400 hours)
I second this.and I'll add

my 490ci's make and easy 700hp and 800tq,they've been run hard since 2006,,I'd call that reliable,,but I built them,I put very good parts in to start w/ so as not to get any surprises(this costs some up front but worth it) and I run an off the shelf Isky cam.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's a great question!
I'm in the middle of my engine build and I've also been following the threads you mentioned. Some of the info that has surfaced recently has me a little concerned as to if I will have any problems or not. I asked several questions before I started my build and went with the whole custom cam and valve train package as recommended. Now it sounds like I might have been better off with one of the bigger mfg's setups that have been tried, true, and tested. It's kind of a kick in the @ss and frustrating.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:41 PM
Registered

Received 399 Likes on 178 Posts

Will I found out by reading the other thread that my heads are junk, my cams are junk both motors junk.I guess I'll have pay somebody to my boat away.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:52 PM
Registered

Received 730 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
How it's driven is putting it on the driver. How about how it's built ? Do the builders get a free pass when they change their build plan and try a new lifter or rod and the engine has a failure.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:57 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Craney
Will I found out by reading the other thread that my heads are junk, my cams are junk both motors junk.I guess I'll have pay somebody to my boat away.
And Pantera is out of business, you and me are totally screwed!
Old 02-20-2016, 01:16 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Barring catastrophic failure the bottom end of a bbc is very reliable. Catastrophic failure as in water ingestion, detonation, dropping a valve, loss of oil. I'm sure there's more but these seem to be the cause of most failures. I think for true reliability a tried and true package is the way to go. For every last horsepower out of a build you will spend many hours testing and tuning with a lot of money in trial parts. Lol
Old 02-20-2016, 02:02 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

I have been told my 600hp 468 blower motor should last 500 hours. GM forged parts with a 177 huffer. I have not asked yet about how long to expect the springs to last though.
Old 02-20-2016, 04:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 798 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor
How it's driven is putting it on the driver. How about how it's built ? Do the builders get a free pass when they change their build plan and try a new lifter or rod and the engine has a failure.
A parts failure can and will happen, i build my own stuff so not sure whos picking up the bill IF a part cstastrophically fails that shouldnt when done by a pro shop for money. My original post was more about l9ngevity/reliability barring random parts failure .
A mild engine that sees alot of cruising should last 400 to 600 hours easily, a high rpm or boost deal thats driven like a super cat will be lucky to go 100+ hours

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.