Warning alarm help >

Warning alarm help

Notices

Warning alarm help

Old 03-18-2016, 04:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning alarm help

The boat is a 1999 Checkmate ZT280 with a 502 Mag 415 hp. Now the issue. It has the soft alarm going off (1 sec beep, three sec off,1 sec beep three sec off). It has been a serious annoyance in diagnosing. First time it was the outdrive gear lube being a little low. Thought that was easy enough. Now it does it intermittently and today is one of those days. The last time I made the LED code reader and put it into base timing, it came up no codes and the alarm stopped when I refired the motor. Thought that was strange but it made me happy to get rid of the alarm. Now the alarm is back, again no codes but the alarm is still there after i start the engine. The engine is fine. I and a good friend rebuilt the engine 150 hours ago and it performs flawlessly every time. Water temp is perfect, oil pressure sets on 40lb all day long. Charging voltage is plenty good. Looking for some answers or ideas.
Thanks
Scott
Old 03-18-2016, 06:28 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Check and clean your cannon plug at engine
Old 03-18-2016, 06:52 PM
Registered

Thanks. Anything work better than the rest when it comes to cleaning these small holes? is Dielectric grease a good thing or not in a marine use plug to keep moisture and corrosion away?
Old 03-18-2016, 08:31 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Change your lube reservoir to a brand new one and make sure the wires to it are in very good shape and not melted.if Also when alarm is going off check battery voltage and you really need to have the engine scanned with a scan tool if the drive res. does not fix your problem. If still no luck to your problem then I have to ask.

REALLY NEED TO ASK THIS FIRST BEFORE ANYTHING

Is this a stock Mercruiser in your app or did someone swap out the engine ? Like to a inboard engine MIE Mercruiser or another brand like a BARR or marine power engine ?

You should have a MEFI 3 for this app if all of that is correct and being OEM stock app.

you need to post the engine serial number to make sure what you really have here. Year models really do mean nothing when it comes to engines and drives. Serial numbers determine exactly what you have. FYI

Last edited by BUP; 03-18-2016 at 08:37 PM.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:10 PM
Registered

BUP,
The engine is the original competely stock mercruiser 502 MPI. I have the original invoice and build sheet that came with the boat. I am also sure that the engine had never been out of the boat nor had it been apart prior to us pulling for a complete rebuild. I would guess its the resevoir or a bad connection somewhere. Sometimes the salt air is a little rough on connectors and damn near everything else
Old 03-18-2016, 11:22 PM
Registered

If it is the resevoir shouldnt unplugging the two wires stop the alarm?