Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Excessive steam from starboard side exhaust. >

Excessive steam from starboard side exhaust.

Notices

Excessive steam from starboard side exhaust.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:35 PM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Excessive steam from starboard side exhaust.

Hi guys,

502 Mag MPI

I have what I would describe as quite a bit of steam from the starboard side exhaust. Both sides have some steam but quite a bit more from starboard side. Looks to be equal amounts of water exiting tips from both sides. Impeller has 20 hours on it and there should not be any old pieces of old impeller in water path. Eddie marine manifolds and standard length risers. I first suspected the riser so I swapped them and have the same result. Pressure checked the manifold today. 15 psi holds steady. No signs of water in oil. Plugs were pulled and all look tan and nice condition. I did baseline compression check last spring and all cylinders 150 psi plus/minus 5 percent. Motor is fresh last year and has roughly 20 hrs on it. Usually start to see it after an extended cruise and then coming off plane. Look back and see steam from starboard side. Risers and manifolds are not overly hot meaning I can place my hands on both after an extended cruise. Motor temp never gets over 140-150 while cruising despite the 160 Tstat. Water temp of the lake is around 62 degrees I believe.

I am running out ideas. I am pretty sure it is steam as it dissipates rather quickly and does not look blueish like oil. It may be nothing to worry about but at this point I am concerned.

If you have any ideas please let me know if there is anything else I can check.

Thanks.

Last edited by tgorbett; 04-03-2016 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 04-03-2016, 07:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The steam is caused by hot spots in the engine that then get hit with water. Usually a result of not enough water volume , a blockage , weak pump, ...... .
Old 04-03-2016, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts

Also pull your engine drain plugs. Make sure they drain well and flush.