Help!!!!! 280 Silencer

Notices

Help!!!!! 280 Silencer

Old 04-10-2016, 03:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!!!! 280 Silencer

Hi guys,
I am looking to get into a newer boat than my nova (which I love) so I am looking at a 2000 Powerquest 280. This boat spent most it's life on LOTO, so there is some stress cracks... Nothing crazy... Except. The floor is cracked! Between the rear two bolster mounts on the floor, is a crack. It runs vertically, the only way I noticed is you can feel it when you walk in that area bare foot that the floor is uneven in that corner (port side) the floor does not flex at all, even bouncing up and down just uneven, like the Stringer got wet and swelled and cracked the floor. How would this have happened? Is this enough to say no to the boat? The boat is forsale cheap and the owner showed it to me right away. It's a 502 MPI bravo boat. I wish I knew how to post pics. I put a moisture meter on the transom and stringers and they are bone dry (10 on the meter) I scanned the motor for hours and it has 157 hours. Any help would be great, usually I would just walk away... But the owner is selling very cheap with 2015 tandem trailer. I can send pics if somebody needs to see, I can't figure out the whole posting pics thing.

Last edited by monster12valve; 04-10-2016 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:46 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

How big is the crack? Length and width? Could it be the edge of the coffin lid for the gas tank?
Old 04-10-2016, 04:01 PM
Registered

Hi speed racer, thanks for the response. It is just wide enough to put my knife blade, 1/8th in or less. It is def a crack, like the floor cracked, and sunk around the stringer, and cracked the floor. My friend that came with me, said it looks like somebody was sitting in the bolster, and they aired out the boat , and cracked the floor. It's perfectly centered between the rear, port side bolster mounts ( where the stringer runs)
Old 04-10-2016, 04:52 PM
Registered

The crack is about 14" long. And is right on the stringer.
Old 04-10-2016, 05:36 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You will have to either upgrade your membership or use photobucket to upload the pics. Part of me thinks if the price is good enough it's probably just some wood, resin, and sanded gelcoat to get it repaired....And then the other part of me (the part that just tore out a boat deck), that part says RUN! There's plenty of other boats out there, and a cracked floor makes a good winter project, but makes for a bad summer.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:39 PM
Registered

He wants 14k for the boat on a new tandem. Has every recipt for everything ever done since new. The boat is perfect.... Except for the floor issue, that's what has me even thinking about this.