454 mag mpi timing >

454 mag mpi timing

Notices

454 mag mpi timing

Old 04-16-2016, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 454 mag mpi timing

While I was tinkering around getting the boat ready for summer (maintenance, fixing some nicks, etc.)
I figured I would check the timing on both engines.

98 454 Mag Mpi new long blocks put in 12' and have 80 hours on them.
Dealer I bought from in Va did the swap.

Both run good, no real issues, it's wasn't built on Wednesday so it runs a lil slow. 65 light, temp in 70s, low humidity wiht just me.
Any load (62-63).

Port engine is at 4 degrees and S is at 8. I've read they are supposed to be at 8 BTDC so what power loss could I be seeing from the P that I am not realizing?? Still idles and runs fine.

Last edited by nailit; 04-16-2016 at 04:45 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

Assuming both motors have the same ECM and .bin file the port motor would be 4 degrees behind where it 'should' be. The ECM likely has 8 deg base timing set. Ideally you'd want to see what each motor has set for the base timing in the ECM and then adjust each distributor to that value. To do this you need to set the ECM in base timing mode which removes it from timing control while the distributor is moved and adjusted. This is fairly simple as you either jumper two pins on the DLC or use a scanner tool to electronically do the same thing.

Bottom line is your port motor is likely lazier than the starboard when trailing 4 degrees.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:20 PM
Registered

[ATTACH=CONFIG]554241[/ATTACH]

I plan on jumping the pins tomorrow and resetting. Have been doing some researching but was curious how lazy or where the laziness comes in? Wot?
Attached Thumbnails 454 mag mpi timing-image.jpg  
Old 04-17-2016, 02:48 PM
Registered

Well, I double checked the P motor and it was steady at 4 BTDC. So I put the paperclip (cut in half) into the A and B slots in that plug and sure as sh!t, that worked. When I cranked her up, she would die if I didn't give her a lil throttle.

Set at 10 degrees to give me a lil advance to see how she runs and moved the S motor from 8 to 10 BTDC also. Both purr like kittens, so I guess I will see how she runs next week end.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:25 AM
Registered

You've only done half the work. It is imperative you find out what is programmed in each ECM. You run the risk of running too much advance at higher rpms by setting base timing too high. Base timing is just that. The base physical timing each distributor is mechanically set to. The base timing in the ECM is merely a value programmed in that SHOULD match what you physically set. The ECM assumes what was mechanically set matches the value programmed.

If you have a base timing mechanically set to a value higher than what is programmed you run the risk of too much total advance.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Trash
You've only done half the work. It is imperative you find out what is programmed in each ECM. You run the risk of running too much advance at higher rpms by setting base timing too high. Base timing is just that. The base physical timing each distributor is mechanically set to. The base timing in the ECM is merely a value programmed in that SHOULD match what you physically set. The ECM assumes what was mechanically set matches the value programmed.

If you have a base timing mechanically set to a value higher than what is programmed you run the risk of too much total advance.
They are both stock, so they "should" be at 8 BTDC? So my thinking is if the ecm is set at 8 and total at 32 (just example) then if I set base physical at 10, then it would really be 10 and 34 total? That was my understanding,, But with that said, I will look for a scan tool to check.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by nailit
They are both stock, so they "should" be at 8 BTDC? So my thinking is if the ecm is set at 8 and total at 32 (just example) then if I set base physical at 10, then it would really be 10 and 34 total? That was my understanding,, But with that said, I will look for a scan tool to check.
"Should" is the key word. Having base timing too high is not just about the total advance but also the advance everywhere else in the table. I've found midrange MAP regions to be finicky on advance (engine knock sensed) with much less than 32 or 34 degrees of total. For example around 60 kPa and 2600 rpm knock might be sensed with only 26 degrees of timing. If you had base timing set 2 degrees higher and total advance was 28 degrees you might be causing minor havoc in that lower rpm/MAP band but the motor might tolerate 38 degrees of timing at WOT.

Bottom line is its best to match base timing with the value programmed in the ECM. If you want to alter timing get into the MAP/RPM/ADV table and adjust it there.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:48 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Set them to 8* base timing. You won't see any gains at 10* anyway.
Not to mention, the knock sensor might just kick in and pull timing back anyway.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
Set them to 8* base timing. You won't see any gains at 10* anyway.
Not to mention, the knock sensor might just kick in and pull timing back anyway.
Exactly....
Old 04-20-2016, 08:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Trash
Exactly....
Well y'all are no fun.... I guess I will set back to 8 this weekend then! Thanks for input guys!! So I will get to see what gains, if any, I will get from bringing the P back to 8 from 4 BTDC.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.