Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Rebuilding a trailer, Bunk questions >

Rebuilding a trailer, Bunk questions

Notices

Rebuilding a trailer, Bunk questions

Old 04-29-2016, 04:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rebuilding a trailer, Bunk questions

I am rebuilding a Target Trailer for my 27' Magnum Sedan, Originally the trailer had 4 x 6 bunks on each side and Keel rollers down the center. I'd like to replace the Keel rollers with centering bunks. If I go with the bunks, do I want them supporting any of the weight of the boat? Or should the be just under the keel when the boat is setting on the trailer. If I am understanding it correctly, I want all the weight on the 2 4 x 6 bunks under the stringers. Also how far apart should I mount the bunks under the keel?

I ordered some D cushions from Myco today and am also going to make a split bow stop and separate winch stand.

Old 05-02-2016, 12:35 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,212 Likes on 525 Posts

You want the centering bunks to be directly around the keel, not to be any higher where they would contact any of the lifting chines.
And yes, they should be supporting weight. You only want enough weight on your bow stop to keep the boat from bouncing off of it. The rest should be on the main and front support bunks.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
You want the centering bunks to be directly around the keel, not to be any higher where they would contact any of the lifting chines.
And yes, they should be supporting weight. You only want enough weight on your bow stop to keep the boat from bouncing off of it. The rest should be on the main and front support bunks.
Thanks, the trailer originally had keel rollers and the hull did not contact them when loaded on the trailer, that is why I was confused.