amazing the things you catch when you surf craigslist too much

Notices

amazing the things you catch when you surf craigslist too much

Old 05-02-2016, 04:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default amazing the things you catch when you surf craigslist too much

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...545706192.html

This boat was for sale a month ago at a marina near my house for around 9000 asking price. It has been raised off the bottom after sinking at its dock twice and then sat in a outdoor rack for at least 2 years. I don't know if this guy knows what he bought but when I went and looked at the boat the only thing worth anything was the steering and outdrives. I didnt even make an offer on it because it was so rough. It prolly needs a transom too as the original owner had a trim tab rip out then sit in the water for a while. The add just reminded me of how hard it is to really know a boats history. I got lucky and was able to talk to the marina staff who had recovered it and knew it's history.

Last edited by turbofox54; 05-02-2016 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:47 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Yes I know what you talking about. If you watch CL long enough you see owners trying to flip boats to make a dollar or they are trying to make a dollar on a bad investment. I looked at a 24' Python 2 years ago as a project boat. When I met the guy, he had told me that he bought the boat just for the engine. It still had a OLD speedmaster drive on it, hydraulic steering and a set of aluminum BBC log manifolds. The boat needed to have the transom redone and a complete interior, but the guy was asking $800 for it. It was more work than I wanted to put into it at the time ( I was working on getting my Scarab back up and running). Now two years later the same boat surfaced on CL but now all the parts that were worth some money have been removed and the price has gone up.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:56 AM
Registered

Yeah...seen that with a sonic a while back...was a good deal I had just missed. Saw it a week later 2 states away for the same price but now it was missing the bravos,tabs,and hydraulic steering. I got no real problem with someone gettin a deal. I just hate that the boats history is now unknown. If someone doesn't look real close at that checkmate they won't realize it's been under water twice.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:32 PM
Registered

Received 104 Likes on 68 Posts

The posting expired, what boat was that on there? Was it the checkmate on the stands in front of the garage?
Old 05-05-2016, 07:34 PM
Registered

Yeah it was an 04 30ft checkmate.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:38 PM
Registered

My cousin that lives in Stafford was telling me about that guy. I think he has an Andretti boat for sale too. From what I hear, he didn't pay much for that Checkmate. Over here on the eastern shore CL has been pretty active with junk recently.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:44 PM
Registered

It was for sale down here for like 9000 I think. Yeah I saw his add for the Andretti boat too.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:53 PM
Registered

The market isn't what it used to be for sure. Growing up on the Potomac powerboat scene, everyone knew the history of all the local boats in the boat trader.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you search the personal service section, you can catch all kinds of stuff...
Old 05-06-2016, 11:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
If you search the personal service section, you can catch all kinds of stuff...
Literally. Haha!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.