Livorsi Trim Question: Goes down, trailer needed for up >

Livorsi Trim Question: Goes down, trailer needed for up

Notices

Livorsi Trim Question: Goes down, trailer needed for up

Old 05-10-2016, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Livorsi Trim Question: Goes down, trailer needed for up

I have a 32' Sunsation and my starboard trim limit switch bit the dust. I believe this may be causing my issue with my trim control on my throttles.

I have the triple trim switch (tabs/trim) on the throttle from Livorsi. The trim will go down but will not go up. To adjust or pull the drives out I have to use the trailer control. Also the trim gauge is not functioning properly.

From what I am understanding, because of the faulty trim limit switch, it is likely causing the issue. Has anyone else experienced this and can confirm my conclusion? Trying to nail down the issue as opposed to purchasing random parts. The boat is a few hours away so trying to take my best shot at an educated guess

Last edited by Sunny32SSR; 05-10-2016 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:06 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,815 Likes on 903 Posts

Yep. Trim limit switch.
Not real easy to replace since the wires go through the transom assembly.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Do you really even need a trim limit switch? My last two boats did not have one. One less thing to worry about.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Agree, if your familiar with operating the boat and won't over trim, you don't really need it. You should be able to unplug the wires from the transom assembly and plug the boat side to each other and bypass it.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ml#post4342623

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Not sure how this relates to your problems, but I ran into a CF this spring with a non-working digital trim sending unit. My boat has a smartcraft engine (496 MAG built 9/'03) with analog gauges. The gimbal came with a digital trim limit switch and an analog trim sending unit for the gauge. The limit switch failed, so I looked for a kit that had my setup (digital + analog). No dice. Merc now only offers a single digital trim limit/sending unit switch for my application. The kit comes with the one digital switch that performs both functions and a plastic blockoff plate for where the old analog sending unit would have been. This would work if I had smartcraft gauges but I have analog. Merc sent a couple different AGI setups and non of them would get my gauges to work. The final solution, and this came from Merc, was to install the old style analog kit on the gimbal ring (analog units for limit and the gauges) and then plug in the new digital all in one switch to the computer and tape it to the wiring harness so that the computer would not throw a code and beep at you all day long. They are working on a solution but have not come up with one yet. This is almost a big of a clusterpuck as changing the crankshaft position sensor and making you change your timing chain and cover to utilize the new sensor.

Possible that your boat is equipped with this combo trim limit / position sensor from the factory? That would explain why your switch suddenly doesn't work, and why your gauge got weird too?
Old 05-10-2016, 02:49 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

If you do replace the limiter/sensors only use Mercury equipment. The Sierra stuff sucks.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:11 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Do I need a trim limit switch? Nope. That's why I've taken Tres's course twice.

But my next concern would be the trim gauge. It's on the fritz and I do NOT have mechanical indicators while I wish I did. If I have read things correctly the gauge is controlled by the port and the starboard controls the limits. But if one is bad it throws them both off. Is that correct? If so, I have no problem jumping the wires as long as I have some type of gauge for their position and I regain my throttle controls.

It's not a repair I'm willing to take on as I have never removed the drive.