Newbie needs advice on which boat >

Newbie needs advice on which boat

Notices

Newbie needs advice on which boat

Old 05-16-2016, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie needs advice on which boat

I live on Vancouver Island and want a reliable, solid boat to run across the Georgia Straight to Vancouver where a 3 foot swell/chop is common. Its going to be trailered.

The guys on my car forum suggested I come here for advise after suggesting a Fountain with twins. Looking online I see lots of single/twin late 90's Fevers in the $35k range which Im comfortable with.

So is this the right boat and is it made to take a pounding in the salt chuck? Or should you avoid bumpy seas whenever possible with any of these "fast" boats?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

A 35 Executioner with stock power would be a nice, seaworthy, reliable boat for what you're looking to do. Even a 32 Fever would suit your needs. Nice boats. Good performance. Decent amenities. Good luck.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

I assume your relatively new to this style of boating?
Fountains are great boats, the 35 mentioned above has a stellar reputation but it's big to trailer. The 29 is very trailerable and would be a nice boat but in 3' waves, if you want to go fast, you'll need more waterline length. Sure you can drive quick in those conditions if you like but it'll be a bouncy ride in boats under about 30'. Also, many boat manufacturers measurements include the boarding platform in their length (e.g. Fountain) so a 29 is a smallish 29 compared to some of the others that don't include platforms in their measurement.

If you want to stay around that size for the trailering aspect, search Baja 29, Scarabs are great rough water boats but check them out carefully for wetness in the transom and stringers. Early-mid 2000's Sunsation, always a few advertised.

That's just a couple of boats I like and they are not too hard to find. I would stick with a standard black Mercury power plant over a blue Mercury Racing engine just for ease of maintenance and simplicity.Plenty to look at, spend an hour looking through the classifieds and see what appeals to YOU.

Not always popular on here but many center consoles are good offshore boats. Big fuel tanks, lots of space onboard and simple outboards. Downside, tiny cabins, don't look so sexy, and not as fast. I own a center console, it's a Fountain and it's a great boat.....

Good luck!

RR

P.S. If you've been around boats for years I apologize for the almost condescending nature of my post but I get the impression you are fairly new to the hi-performance offshore style of boat.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:55 PM
Registered

Great advice thank you both. Im ashamed to say I grew up on the coast but never owned a boat. Sail boats ya, but off shore power boats are rare around here. Maybe there's too many dead heads out there from all the logging and the Fraser River.

The classifieds, if they are any on here, aren't displaying for me.

Last edited by NOrrTH; 05-16-2016 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:11 PM
Registered

Received 1,490 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by NOrrTH
Great advice thank you both. Im ashamed to say I grew up on the coast but never owned a boat. Sail boats ya, but off shore power boats are rare around here. Maybe there's too many dead heads out there from all the logging and the Fraser River.

The classifieds, if they are any on here, aren't displaying for me.
Ya be careful with the dead heads. I ripped a drive right completely off the 28 challenger in my avatar. Not a good time at 80 mph. I was actually heading up to the north channel into Canada east of Drummond Island.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:48 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Should add Donzi to your list. Never really built a bad boat, if you can find a nice honest 28' in your budget you'd be pretty happy.

Single vs twin engine argument is something to consider. Security, performance, maintenance but also towing weight. Plenty of research ahead.

Powerboatlistings.com is a great research tool. They rarely delete old adds so most of their stuff is completely out of date but it's a great way to compare many many different boats on one site. Check the listings date on every add, some are up to 10 years old so the advertised prices are irrelevant but the other information available is terrific.

RR
Old 05-16-2016, 10:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rak rua
Should add Donzi to your list. Never really built a bad boat, if you can find a nice honest 28' in your budget you'd be pretty happy.

Single vs twin engine argument is something to consider. Security, performance, maintenance but also towing weight. Plenty of research ahead.

Powerboatlistings.com is a great research tool. They rarely delete old adds so most of their stuff is completely out of date but it's a great way to compare many many different boats on one site. Check the listings date on every add, some are up to 10 years old so the advertised prices are irrelevant but the other information available is terrific.

RR
Some good thinking (weight) however with that said what do you haul boats with in Thailand? I noticed in the movie hangover 2 the marinas were pretty full.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:27 PM
Registered

Come to think of it wasn't it a donzi the dude brought in a little HOT before the wedding? Lol
Old 05-16-2016, 11:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by getrdunn
Come to think of it wasn't it a donzi the dude brought in a little HOT before the wedding? Lol
I think that boat was a Baja.

Last edited by RogerThat99; 05-16-2016 at 11:15 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:13 PM
Registered

You should look at a 29' Shockwave Magnitude. They are a very big 29' boat (length, beam, freeboard, etc...) and a great rough water boat. I have been straight across the center of Lake Tahoe in the late afternoon in one. Tahoe can get very rough.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.