Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
New Hydraulic Steering Install - No Pressure and Other Rigging Questions >

New Hydraulic Steering Install - No Pressure and Other Rigging Questions

Notices

New Hydraulic Steering Install - No Pressure and Other Rigging Questions

Old 05-21-2016, 06:23 PM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts
Default New Hydraulic Steering Install - No Pressure and Other Rigging Questions

I have pieced together what I consider a nice system but I am not getting pressure to the helm and beyond.

System:
Latham Pump
Latham Filter
All -6 Line/SAE -6 Internal
Dual Latham 9" Rams - -6JIC external
Char Lynn Helm - Unknown spec
I have a Latham LM7 for backup or replacement

Rigging Concerns:
Tee's directly on thru hull on Stbd Side in order to feed port - Do not do per Latham
Filter Mounted Horizontal not Vertical as per Latham
- 6 lines from helm to ram thru hull (should be -8 per Latham)
- 6 line from filter to Helm (should be -8 per Latham)

I test ran the engine today to bleed lines. I know I am pulling some fluid from remote tank as level dropped and I have fluid at cooler and both sides of filter although not much at filter. I don't have any pressure at the helm.
I can turn the wheel continuous in either direction without any feedback. I removed the filter element thinking that was the issue; wasn't.

I removed the belt from PS pump and I can turn fast by hand. It doesn't seem like it is building pressure since it is very easy to spin. I can spin the pulley by hand quickly and it will spin after I let go.

The pump had a male adapter style fitting in it before I am using a one piece 90* fitting due to manifold clearance.

I suspect the pump is bad but think I could have a fitting issue. I don't think the other rigging concerns are the problem since I have seen many boats rigged the same way including my previous.

Everything is clean, so I am seeking feedback before I just start breaking lines.

Pictures for reference.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:36 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You need to bleed the helm pump. It is a pump and does make pressure. You actually don't need a power steering pump. Keep spinning the wheel in one direction (engine off) make sure to keep filling the reservoir. Spin in same direction until the drive turns to the lock. Then spin the wheel in the opposite direction until the drive is in the lock. System is bled at this point. The power steering pump is an assist to make turning the wheel easier. Does not affect the operation of the Rams.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The helm should pass fluid through it from supply to return until you turn the wheel then it diverts out the left or right port. The pump should send fluid out the supply side and the return simply keeps the tank full. I would disconnect the pressure line at the filter, hold it in the cap opening and start the engine. You should have a lot of fluid flow even at idle. If you have flow try and block it off with your finger to see if it builds pressure. Be careful a fully blocked pump makes 1200 plus psi pressure. I'm thinking your pump is not moving fluid. A CharLynn system that has fluid in will still manually move the rams without the engine running.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:53 PM
Registered

Good points. I've run for a few minutes 2-3 times with no fluid to helm. I think my problem is at the pump.

Any thoughts on the pump being so easy to turn? Feels like no tension.

Last edited by TxHawk; 05-21-2016 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:06 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

You have a standard gm/merc pump to swap as an experiment?
Old 05-21-2016, 08:13 PM
Registered

I don't. I'll pull the line tomorrow to get an idea of flow and pressure. Then diagnose whether it's the pump or the fitting.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:16 AM
Registered

Received 285 Likes on 176 Posts

I recently installed Ext steering. I didn't want to start the eng so I used a 1/2" drill to spin the pump. At first it didn't have any résistance. I started increasing the drill speed. Not sure what rpm I reached but as I sped up the drill I could feel it "catch" and the drill now had a load on it. The reservoir level dropped quickly. Once that happed the first time, it didn't happen again. Guess it had air trapped inside.

Might try goosing the throttle real quick and see if that starts things a moving.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:41 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Also have a lathem pump for sale if you need it.
I would stick with a drill to prime the system use a 3/8 bolt in the pump shaft. Did the level go down in the reservoir when you where filling it? Might be a big air pocket in the pump.

Last edited by 14 apache; 05-22-2016 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:50 PM
Registered

I have put a little more than quart in it. I suspect level has dropped from gravity more than the pump pulling it. I'll try the drill method then I'm pulling the pump for a closer look. Thanks.
Old 05-22-2016, 02:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TxHawk
I have put a little more than quart in it. I suspect level has dropped from gravity more than the pump pulling it. I'll try the drill method then I'm pulling the pump for a closer look. Thanks.
If it does not return to the reservoir it will not pull anything into the pump unless you crack a line just a poor set up like that. Put a vacuum pump on the system and than let it suck the fluid in. I am thinking your only problem is it has no way for the air to get out of the system. One other thing you can do is remove the fitting from the top of the pump and keep filling it with a squeeze bottle but use a drill motor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.