Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Comp Cams - Issues with rocker arms, premature failure. >

Comp Cams - Issues with rocker arms, premature failure.

Notices

Comp Cams - Issues with rocker arms, premature failure.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:38 AM
Registered

Received 111 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Comp Cams - Issues with rocker arms, premature failure.

It was recommended that I post this here from input from the OSO community. I have a build thread in the Formula Section as well. But here is the specs...

GEN VI 454 , .030 Over, SRP +23 CC Pistons, 088 Heads, Comp Cams K-01-451-8 Kit with Magnum Roller Tip Rocker. < 1 Hour of run time on the engine.

Most of all the rocker arm pivot balls that are under the locking nut have been prematurely worn to different degrees (<1 Hour of run time) and the red lubricant that they provided and I applied during the build was no where to be found. Push rods seem to be in good shape, not bent or damaged. I have found small fingernail tip sized pieces sitting in the little pockets on the top of the heads. These pieces are from the thin metal spiral bushing (Spring Dampener?) that goes in between the inner and the outer valve spring, it is the last 1/2" of the bottom of the spiral. All of the metal particulates I found were from the pivot balls. It is obvious that the rockers got really hot during operation and developed carbon on the surface. The roller tips are also discolored from the heat. It appears they are not receiving proper lubrication during operation however, during the build, everything was primed and rotated. While the engine was running there was good oil pressure (> 40 PSI) and when I adjusted the valves, oil was coming up through the push rod on all rockers. Ignore the milky oil on top of the head, this is left over from the first start when the valves were hanging open, had some water in the oil but after 3 hours cleaning out the oil system, the oil in the sump is clean as can be when this occurred. Any ideas outside of "brand bashing" is welcomed. Thanks!

I plan on calling Comp Cams this morning to discuss a resolution and to see if they have an alternate to the stamped roller tip rocker arms that utilize poly locks. Hopefully they are willing to help me out here. I followed their instructions to the "T" and even called them during the build to confirm and clarify a few steps. I would like to go to a full roller rocker arm and I found a set of Crane on Craigslist for a good deal but they are 1.7 and not 1.72 ratio so I am not sure if they will work with that Camshaft that I have. Here is the ad, http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...606135760.html
Old 06-02-2016, 12:45 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Even if you believe their parts have manufacturing defect, the engine was started and run shortly with rockers that where adjusted too tight. Plus, this caused water reversion getting water into the oil.

Even the spring dampers broke.

And you want to get them to warranty the rockers or more ? I don't see it.

=================

With all those pieces of metal in the oil / engine, you may want to pull then engine completely apart, check for other damage, and completely clean everything.

While you are doing this, you may want to decide on another angle of attack,not just with parts, but with engine assembly techniques and etc.

Not a rag on, but a major suggestion.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:55 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Judging by the heat in those rockers, there is no way that was a part failure. On top of what SB said, double check your valvetrain geometry, something is very wrong here.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:46 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to be adjusting the valves during assembly, not on a running engine afterwards. My feelings are that's what started your whole problem. Never understood why people would ever use that method. As SB said, that engine needs to be completely disassembled, cleaned and inspected.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:55 PM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts

Umm. I honestly don't know where to begin. I can't say anything bad about those rockers as I have no experience with them but not without reason. Definitely looks like oil got hot also. Looks like it's baked on parts of the rocker, stud and nut. Taking 1/2 hr to adjust valve lash properly prior to start up is highly recommended. Did you ck for pushrod length? The red lube you mentioned disappears during engine warm up. SB pretty much covered it but definitely pull it and throughly clean each and every part before reassembly. Clean, clean clean. Basically start over and get some full roller cranes or scorpions. Don't get to down. Chit happens and lessons learned.

Btw don't forget to clean under sides of pistons also. Go through everything including oil passages etc. it would be nice to think any remaining debris would be laying on the bottom of pan but doubtful. Pieces like that like to make their way down btwn rods. Those shavings can end up anywhere.

Last edited by getrdunn; 06-02-2016 at 10:10 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:06 AM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 354 Posts

I'll ask,,what cam and lift.also,who's/what lifters and where did they come from.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:13 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Above he said K-01-451-8 Kit
http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/c...?csid=596&sb=2

He got the comp full K kit. 230/236 ,547 . 547 112LSA hydraulic roller
cam.springsm timing gear, etc, etc - doesn't come with lifters
also got the GEN VI rocker arm conversion kit (rockers. studs, pushrods
Old 06-03-2016, 07:18 AM
Registered

Received 111 Likes on 69 Posts

Thanks for the input everyone. I should of clarified a bit more. This is my first BBC engine build and I adjusted the valves too tight during the assembly phase which was noticed and corrected however, it was too late at that point. You have to start somewhere and this is just a learning experience for me. Additionally, I believe Comp Cams have a great product and great support. I wouldn't expect them to warranty anything and I stated that when I spoke with them yesterday, I just wanted their input on the situation (other than you didn't do something right) which they provided based on the pictures. They do want the rocker arms back to verify that it is not a manufacturing defect with the machined oil gallery as they said it's rare, but has happened before especially since it wasn't all of the rockers that had an issue on my installation.

I was mainly posting this for everyone's thoughts on a cause and additional suggestions for me to avoid this in the future. I also wanted to get this on the OSO forum in case another amateur engine builder comes across this, they can see my experience. Since it will be raining here this weekend, the engine should be getting pulled tonight for a tear down and inspection. All the valve train parts are Comp Cams (K-01-451-8), FYI. I am also going to check out the lubrication system as it is apparent that there was a lack a lubrication at some point while running causing the damage and carbon on the components. Once again, I appreciate everyone's suggestions and I will provide an update when available. I was planning on upgrading the rocker arms and such during this time because I need to buy new parts anyway. Not because I am unhappy with Comp Cams.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 354 Posts

I'd be inclined to replace the lifters as they may have been damaged from over tightening the rockers.this could have help starve the top end of oil.was the oil non synth.?
Old 06-03-2016, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Refer to this when adjusting your rockers

http://www.cranecams.com/pdf-tech-tips/hydro-lift.pdf

This is the crane version which should work for other Manufacturers as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.