1997 2.5 260 EFI idle and start issues >

1997 2.5 260 EFI idle and start issues

Notices

1997 2.5 260 EFI idle and start issues

Old 06-08-2016, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 2.5 260 EFI idle and start issues

I have a 1997 Stoker 204, 2.5/260 fresh rebuild by Lou Covert in Havasu with 12 hours. It will not idle under 1000 rpm with out dying. Worse in gear. It did idle in gear at one time but something has changed. It has dual saddle tanks with manual selector valve and return line plumbed to fuel water sperator. This is the original rigging setup by Al Stoker updated with new parts over the years. I recently replace the fuel pump with a Bosch 984 to fix a intermittent bog & dye syndrom. It had the idle problem with the old pump also. Also hard to restart when warmed up, you must be right on the throttle when it fires or it dies. Runs perfect over 3500 rpm all the way up, and very responsive from 4000 rpm to WOT. I do not have a fuel pressure gauge and know I need one, and need a installation suggestions. I need to know how to proceed with a diagnosis proceedure, or a referal for some loacal talent in my area for old race motors. I live on Lake Hartwell GA on the boarder of GA & SC. The local marine mechanics are unfamilar to say the least with this setup. You guidence in this request is Greatly Appreciated. Greg
Old 06-08-2016, 07:23 PM
Registered

check the 90degree fittings on the horn , the ones that are connected to tygon hoses
they need to be cleared periodically
u can use carb cleaner
Old 06-08-2016, 07:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Glyn mathews
check the 90degree fittings on the horn , the ones that are connected to tygon hoses
they need to be cleared periodically
u can use carb cleaner
You are right. The fitting to the ecu was completely varnished and clogged. Removed ecu and cleaned fitting back through horn with carb cleaner and air. Will do the same with the others. Pretty sure the ecu was only mapping wot as it was a smoking dog under 3000 rpm, and screamed over 4000 rpm. Waiting on new plugs to arrive before I test it. I'll let you know how it works. Thanks Again. Greg
Old 06-10-2016, 09:04 PM
Registered

Tested Excellent. Fired up with one push of the choke and a click of the key with no throttle, idled at 900 rpm with little to no smoke, dropped it into gear no throttle and idled at 700 rpm. The handing at the ramp and dock is excellent. . Throttle response on top was like a hammer all the way up. You were right on the money. Of course I have a old problem returned with a sudden loss of power and bog down to a full stop. Then restarts like nothings wrong and runs fine. Seems like fuel starvation. Have previously replaced fuel pump with Bosch 984, but had this problem before with old pump installed. If you have any suggestions on possible things check out, I'm all ears.
Thanks Again for Your Help. Greg
Old 06-11-2016, 12:35 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would suggest a fuel psi guage . Apx 38 to 44 psi at all times.Auto meter makes a small sender and guage kit . If it is fuel I'de fix it quick . hf...
Old 06-11-2016, 01:05 PM
Registered

Found the TPI port for the ECU clogged at the 90 elbow on the horn. Cleaned them all wot carb cleaner and a vac tool. Changed plugs, fired up with one click of the key, no throttle, idle almost smoke free out of gear at 900 rpm, and 650 rpm in gear. Restarted same when hot after short sit. Handled like a pleasure boat at the dock and a rocket on top . Really want to install the fuel pressure gauge. Are the a wired sender, or do I have to plumb tubing all the way to the dash?