Bravo x to Bravo XR exchange?

Notices

Bravo x to Bravo XR exchange?

Old 06-15-2016, 11:03 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Bravo x to Bravo XR exchange?

I have a 2006 boat with bravo x drives and want to swap to bravo XR drives. Will they bolt up to what I have or do I need to change transom assemblies to do conversion?
Old 06-15-2016, 11:16 AM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Same TA, maybe different gimbal bearing to handle larger shaft. Basically just bolt it on..
Old 06-15-2016, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

It's a direct swap, input shafts on X and XR are the same. If you are looking to sell your uppers let me know, I may be interested in them. You can also just change the gears in the uppers and have XR's. The cases are the same, all internals are the same other than the gears. If you are going that route I would also be interested in your gear sets if they are low hours.

Lowers are different as you I'm sure you know. The gears, carrier, and propshaft are different. IMCO makes a 1 1/4" shaft that you can run your current gears. Then all you need to do is swap out the carrier and shafts, the cases themselves are the same.

PM me if you are interested in selling anything.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:32 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

If you are not breaking upper gears, I would stay with the X's. The XR gears do not have as long of a lifespan.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for INFO! I have 496hos in boat with CMI's and want to do Raylar 525 or 600 kits and scared I will break my drives. Endeavour if I do decide to sell will let you know.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A properly set up "X" will give you many hours of use.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the lower gears are the same between x and xr. just the lower propshaft and carrier are different. less expensive to change gear set than buying new xr. Used XR is a roll of the dice as to what you get. Stay with the X gears and if you break one then decide which way to go.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

The gears in the lower of an XR are essentially the same as any bravo 1 lower. The shaft is slightly different on the XR so the splines on the XR prop shaft gear are also slightly different. Mr. Gadgets or maybe Smitty posted that the forging stamp is actually the same on both XR and standard B1. Like I said above, IMCO makes a kit to convert your current lower to a 1 1/4 and use your current gears. It will be every bit as strong as an XR.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:37 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Run what you brung...

The X drive is just as good or better. Even the 1 inch propshaft will be fine unless you are offshore or on and off the throttles. You will twist them and IF you do, you can use IMCO 1 inch hardened shafts or go up to the 1 1/4. The imco 1 inch hardened are pretty darn close or maybe even exceed the 1 1/4 XR shafts. I use to have have them. They are pretty good.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:35 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
If you are not breaking upper gears, I would stay with the X's. The XR gears do not have as long of a lifespan.
Not my experience. After my repower to the 525 my Bravo X1 upper lasted all of 7 hours of offshore running before the upper gears failed. I bolted on an old style XR upper and it lasted 3 seasons before the preload nut backed off and the case broke. Put on another old style upper with the gears hard shimmed and it is on it's 4th season. OP, yes, it bolts on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.