Notices

Milky oil

Old 06-30-2016, 07:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Milky oil

2001 502 mag mpi. Changed the oil after the winter everything look ok. put fresh oil in and started it up for a few minutes. Ran ok. Check oil and it has water in it. Drained and repeated and still milky. Raw water cooled no heat exchanger. Only about 10 hrs on new exhaust manifolds and risers. And just changed water pump impeller. Leaning towards oil cooler, intake manifold or cracked block. Boat has 370 hrs. Any advice would be appreciated😎
Old 06-30-2016, 08:19 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 948 Likes on 477 Posts

are you seeing this on the dipstick or in the valve covers? If in the valve covers its probably just condensation...if on the dipstick then you have an issue somewhere. Keep in mind it only take about a tablespoon of water to turn it into a milkshake....i've cleaned out a milkshake in the past by flooding the engine with a couple gallons of diesel fuel....turning it over by hand and run the oil pump with a cordless drill then drain and change oil twice to clean it all up...

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 06-30-2016, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Fresh water or salt? If salt, I would consider pressure testing the cooling system by blocking off hoses and adding compressed air via a schrader valve.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:23 AM
Registered

Its brackish. And I noticed it first on the dipstick pumped all the oil out and refilled it. Ran for a another minute or so and pump it back out and still milky
Old 06-30-2016, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How was it winterized? ??
Old 06-30-2016, 10:57 AM
Registered

I poured antifreeze In the hoses at the thermostat housing into the block filled up and unto I heard it run out the exhaust
Old 06-30-2016, 11:16 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 948 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by erpulliam
I poured antifreeze In the hoses at the thermostat housing into the block filled up and unto I heard it run out the exhaust
so you didnt run the engine just poured the antifreeze in there?

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 06-30-2016, 11:39 AM
Registered

First I drained all the water and yea I just filled it. If I ran it would of just went out the exhaust
Old 06-30-2016, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

If you run it for awhile, does the level go UP on the dipstick?
I've milkshaked a few motors, nearly all head or intake gaskets.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:57 PM
Registered

That is really not the way to winterize. Water can get trapped in block even if you drain. I have pulled motors and drained what i thought was everything in block and as i move the motor around more water comes out. I have an xr drive and after i drain the block header and oil cooler. I add the pink stuff in hose that goes to impeller and wait till it comes out exhaust. It usually takes me 8 to 10 gallons and i start to get pink out of exhaust around 6 gallons. I do not run a thermostat but a reducer washer and have noticed when flushing on the hose i will get condensation in the valve cover. But after coming back from a run its all gone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.