Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
What's involved in buying a car from Canada and shipping to the us? >

What's involved in buying a car from Canada and shipping to the us?

Notices

What's involved in buying a car from Canada and shipping to the us?

Old 07-01-2016, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What's involved in buying a car from Canada and shipping to the us?

I am looking at buying a jeep that was built for the Canadian market and shipping it to the us. What has to happen?

Anyone do this for a living that could help or give me some insight?

Thanks
Old 07-02-2016, 11:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by COOPS
I am looking at buying a jeep that was built for the Canadian market and shipping it to the us. What has to happen?

Anyone do this for a living that could help or give me some insight?

Thanks
its simple to go from canada to usa but not so simple to go usa to canada call the port of entry your going to cross and ask to speak to the traffic office there the ones that will handle you when you arrive at the border
Old 07-02-2016, 12:23 PM
Registered

My research when I was thinking about doing it, suggests that going from CAN to US is difficult. Might involve several different Fed agencies to sign off on it being up to our vehicle standards. If it is over 25 yrs old, then it is easier.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chart
My research when I was thinking about doing it, suggests that going from CAN to US is difficult. Might involve several different Fed agencies to sign off on it being up to our vehicle standards. If it is over 25 yrs old, then it is easier.
the usa rules are alot easier then canada my buddy ships 30-40 truck to the states every week look up riv.ca thats what we got to do theres cars and truck in the usa that are not allowed in canada cause they dont meet the safty rules here
Old 07-05-2016, 03:09 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 80 Likes on 39 Posts

Grey market vehicles can have "issues"

I believe GM is the only manufacturer that will honor the warranty on a vehicle brought from Canada to the U.S. so if that's important to you make sure to do your homework & be advised that their position re. warranty coverage could change.

The speedo has to be changed out by a certified operator to convert from kilometers to miles.

I would start with your local secretary of state or DMV and ask them what you have to do to register the vehicle and then I would contact a registered importer to make sure the paperwork is handled correctly.
I don't know anyone there anymore, but Jack Rutherford Customs Brokers used to sponsor the boat drags in Guelph and was very helpful in getting the boats and equipment into Canada from the US.

I would also contact your local dealer and pull a manufacturer VIN history (as opposed to a CarFax or equivalent) .

Good luck and be careful.

1. Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:04 PM
Registered

With little to no contact with the seller I have given up on this adventure. I sold my 87 donzi to a guy in canada with zero issues. This was because I helped him as the seller with getting it done.

This guy...not so much.