Maiden voyage. >

Maiden voyage.

Notices

Maiden voyage.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maiden voyage.

I just had my first ride in my 1996 AT 32' w/450's. Awesome ride, 2 things I need your help with;

1) starboard engine water temp. Guage would hang at zero, then it would creep up to about 160 and if I pushed it up to ~ 3500 rpm it would creep up to ~ 170 and I would back it down to cool it off (the other engine ran consistatly @ ~ 155. The port side exhaust pipe was warmer to the touch, I could only keep my hand on it for about 3-5 seconds before it got too hot. Water seemed to be coming out the pipe in amounts equal t the other exhaust pipes. Oil temps remained pretty much fixed @ ~ 200.

2) this issue may be related to the first, but there was not much of a correlation. There is a buzzer behind the instrument panel that would turn on and off sporadically (mostly on). All temps/guages. Besides the funky hot water reading, the only other thing that was a bit off was on the starboard oil pressure. it ran at ~ 50. I did check and there is a bit too much oil in the engine and I will look to remove a bit tomorrow....not sure is a correlation here.

Any insights, things to check on?

Thanks!

- scott -
Old 07-08-2016, 10:15 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

There's smarter people here than me to help with your issues but glad to hear you got the boat and I guess that means it passed the 'hammer test' on the transom for the rest of this season at least! I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice on the temp and oil issues.

Congrats!

RR
Old 07-08-2016, 10:35 PM
Registered

Thanks RR!
Old 07-08-2016, 11:14 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Sea Pump impeller kit is the first step. Also, take the input water hose off the oil cooler and check for debris.
Those engines should run right at 150-155 on the guage if they have the correct 140* T stats.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 368 Likes on 247 Posts

Your buzzer is from low drive oil level imo...
Old 07-09-2016, 09:39 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm certainly no mechanic, but I've owned 5 boats over the last 25 years. I'll give you my 2 cents for what it's worth. One side of my exhaust always runs a little warmer than the other. When I flush my motor, I feel the water and that's always the case. Second, I always run about 10 degrees warmer than my thermostat. I have a 160 or 165 thermostat and I run around 170 to 175. Feel the risers when your running water through them. If they are cool to the touch, you should be ok. Lastly, I agree with jeff32, I would check the drive oil if all the other gauges look good. My buddy's outlaw started having an alarm go off, but all the gauges were good. Ended up being his drive oil. I'm sure someone with more mechanical expertise can shed some better insight into your situation. Good luck, love those AT's
Old 07-09-2016, 11:26 PM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 236 Posts

Buy a Infared heat gun . Handiest tool you will ever own.like 50 to 100 bucks.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:30 PM
Registered

Well, I learned how to replace a sea pump impeller, fortunately/unfortunately what was in place was in good shape. As best as I could I also checked all water hoses for debris (found none). Next I went on to thermostats which looked kinda rusted up (and rusted in). I pulled them both to see what happened but unfortunately someone previously doing this miss threaded a bolt that holds the housing in place and I no longer get a good seal (probably maybe why there was a heavy silicone application). looks like I need a couple 140 degree thermostats and a tube of some heat resistant silicone (maybe red hi temp permatex?). My engines are the 450hp which I believe are a modified 454, so should I be looking for a 454 140 degree thermostat? Can this be obtained at a local auto parts store?

Assuming the water pump is fine and thermostat is fine, where do I look next to see why the engine heats up? As also suggested, I picked up an infrared heat gun nut I did not get a chance to play with it, what should I be looking for?

I also found I had a drive low on oil but when I filled it the buzzer continued to sound. After trying to find why an engine is running hot, the correlation between the buzzer and temp seems strong.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:01 PM
Registered

was the impeller housing in good condition not grooved, also unhook the wire to the t stat housing see if the alarm goes off there should be 2 wires 1 for the alarm and 1 for the guage make sure there not backwards and as griff said did you pull the hoses of the cooler make sure ther is no old impeller peices in there, also could be the water circulator pump having a bad worn impeller i would get rid of them anyhow and put crossovers on, another thing is if you have garden hose hook ups to run the motors make sure the caps are on them good
Old 07-13-2016, 09:29 PM
Registered

Dang, you sure have some issues with boats! Ever think about getting into a different hobby?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.