Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Anybody ever built a swing tongue for their big trailer >

Anybody ever built a swing tongue for their big trailer

Notices

Anybody ever built a swing tongue for their big trailer

Old 08-01-2016, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Anybody ever built a swing tongue for their big trailer

Has anybody ever turned their big steel boat trailer into a swing or removable tongue? I have a tri-axle steel Manning under my 380 PQ that has about 6' of tongue past the bow of the boat. I have 40' of space inside my existing barn and would prefer not to add-on AGAIN! The engineer in me believes with some good welding, good bushings, and pins, the tongue could be modified to swing or just be removed. I have 5' in front of the bow stop v-blocks that can be removed with the winch stand. Not worried about brake lines as trailer will be converted to straight electric in spring.

Any thoughts or has anyone done this? Unfortunately it isn't just a pole-tongue trailer but is a triangular section all the way to the coupler.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, I'm pretty adventurous but this seems like a tall task in order to make this bullet roof. Good luck and keep us posted if you decide to do it.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've only ever seen it on little boat trailers, nothing as big as a 38. I had a friend with a 25 Outlaw on a Heritage trailer that we considered chopping the tongue of the trailer off and making it removable for similar reasons, but he sold the boat before it was necessary.

Seems like it could be done, but the amount of gusseting needed to maintain the strength would make it pretty heavy to be removable and still safe. I would run it by the manufacturer first and go from there.

From a liability standpoint, I think doghousing the back of the barn to make room would be easier. Or if its winter storage you are worried about, put the boat on blocks and the trailer outside.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:04 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

IF absolutely necessary, I think creating a sleeve system would be better than a swing away.
But consider the effort you are going to introduce here. You are going to throw time, money, and energy to fix one problem that only you are having.

If feasible throw that same time, money, and energy at extending the barn. That way you can use it for multiple needs once the boat is gone or someone else owns the property.

**(When you sell the go-fast and buy a CC, you can park your snowmobiles behind it.)**
Old 08-02-2016, 09:33 AM
ben
Registered

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

I have an uncle that built a 25ft deep garage for his 24ft pontoon not realizing the tounge sticks out in front of the boat Luckily for him he had a window in the back of the barn he could swing open and back the boat in so the motor stuck out the window and just barely had enough room to close the door. He eventually put a swing away tounge on the trailer but had a 200merc sticking out his window for about a year.
I don't recommend this method but its an idea...
Old 08-02-2016, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 4,322 Likes on 1,241 Posts

I feel your pain. I extended the garage plus a few more feet and a year and a half later got a bigger boat.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
IF absolutely necessary, I think creating a sleeve system would be better than a swing away.
But consider the effort you are going to introduce here. You are going to throw time, money, and energy to fix one problem that only you are having.

If feasible throw that same time, money, and energy at extending the barn. That way you can use it for multiple needs once the boat is gone or someone else owns the property.

**(When you sell the go-fast and buy a CC, you can park your snowmobiles behind it.)**
Isn't that performance boating in general? haha Throwing effort at problems only the person thinking of them perceives to be fixed?

Problem is my barn was built by car guys rather than a boater haha. Narrow doors, and shallow (for a boat guy 27') depth. It is a deep 3-car garage with one bay being 12' ceilings for lift PO had. I already extended 8'x13' to the tall bay with an enclosed lean-to thinking I wouldn't ever get anything longer than a 35' boat haha. Then the wife told me to just buy the dang 38. I really don't want to put a lean-to onto a lean-to. If I put a sliding door on the side (non-load bearing wall) I have 40' depth to work with and have enough property room to maneuver trailer in that way.

If I extended the lean-to I have now another 8', the back edge of the roof is getting quite low flowing existing roof pitch, I have to do concrete work as ground is soft back there, and I have to tear out existing 8'6"x11' high insulated overhead door and install wider door to fit boat in. It's a mess really haha. If I do a wide side slider, I have full concrete, can still use my chainfall to pull motors with better maneuverability having twins now. Most cost efficient alternative compared to the rest. I should have torn the tall bay down and built a 30x50 pole barn in its place....but I bought a bigger boat instead!

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
I feel your pain. I extended the garage plus a few more feet and a year and a half later got a bigger boat.

That's exactly what I did two years later.....

I could even just chop it and have bolt flanges holding tongue section on...not necessarily hinging. Just as long as I can remove it for winter storage. To cut down on towing I store it at the marina indoor barn during the summer on the trailer. I wouldn't mind backing in and then just unbolting the section completely when it is time for winter sleep.

Here is what I'm working with. Trailer just seems excessively long to me with 5' past the bow and the winch stand in another zip code haha.

And yes that is the brake line duct taped and zip tied to inner frame rail....previous owner was a hack. Trailer getting blasted, painted, and all new electric brakes in spring.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:53 AM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

i'd guess you could shave a little off by welding the coupler and going with EOH brakes.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:01 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Are you sure it will work even if you cut the trailer? The total overall length of the boat plus the DRIVES? Better re-measure from the drives to the bow.

A 40 foot pole barn that has insulation and or structural in the way plus the reinforcements on the garage door you are down to less than 40 for sure...
Old 08-02-2016, 11:17 AM
Registered

I have 40' inside of building. Exterior is 42. I measured several times. My boat is just under 38' including drives down since they don't stick out past molded in platform. My barn is kinda strange. It is stick built construction not a pole barn actually. It is a bit goofy from conventional thats for sure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.