Mercruiser Alternator Upgrade? >

Mercruiser Alternator Upgrade?

Notices

Mercruiser Alternator Upgrade?

Old 08-07-2016, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mercruiser Alternator Upgrade?

Hey guys, is there an upgrade for the old Mando "4-wire" alternators? I have gone through a number of these things over the years due to salt water, broken motor mounts, etc and burned up a voltage regulator on one today. Is there anything out there that's more corrosion resistant or tolerant of a splash of water? I would like to stick with my single groove v-belt set up for now too.

Thanks!
Old 08-08-2016, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

I don't know of anything definitive but DB Electric is a good source to talk to.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have two good ones sitting on a shelf from when I converted to 1-wire... Make me an offer
Old 08-08-2016, 07:13 PM
Registered

dbelectrical.com makes a good one wire marine alternator at 105 amps with a vee groove pulley. Just have to run a single 6-8 ga wire to the positive on the battery and a ground wire from alt to block and you are done. Cap off all other wires. Simple is best especially is salt. The last one I bought was $57 to my door and that was a week ago.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:11 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I am API dealer, they will cost more than the DB Electric but the quality is by far alot better. Also API Marine products are USA assembled and quality control tested as well.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:36 PM
Registered

How much for a similar api one wire alternator bup? I agree china is not always the best supplier so reputable options would be good.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:24 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Sorry I am out till Monday I can call them but in the meantime it would wise to see what mount configure you will need to get a price on the exact one needed for your set up and brackets

try looking at their website and I can try to call them Thursday if all possible - (you) ----- see if you can post the API part number that would work for your app. I will comeback to see if you found anything from API then call them. THANKS
Old 08-09-2016, 09:49 PM
Registered

Received 1,207 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by blue thunder
dbelectrical.com makes a good one wire marine alternator at 105 amps with a vee groove pulley. Just have to run a single 6-8 ga wire to the positive on the battery and a ground wire from alt to block and you are done. Cap off all other wires. Simple is best especially is salt. The last one I bought was $57 to my door and that was a week ago.
I've run db electric alternators for 7-8 yrs now. Quality is great and the only problem was spinning off a pulley on a reverse rotation engine. (my fault)