Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
SBC oil bypass question , reuse ok and orientation ? >

SBC oil bypass question , reuse ok and orientation ?

Notices

SBC oil bypass question , reuse ok and orientation ?

Old 10-12-2016, 10:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SBC oil bypass question , reuse ok and orientation ?

I recently dressed a 5.7 vortex new long block to repower my worm out stock volvo 5.0. I re-used the oil,filter mount / by-pass. I cleaned it well but now thinking should bought new one , I had no idea they were so cheap. Ran it on stand and now motor is back in boat but still bolting stuff on it to sea trial. I " May" be able to swap it out but it won't be easy. Also, I am fairly sure I bolted it in same orientation but as think about it not 100% sure. Does it have a orientation? I searched and lots of threads about blocking it and higher bypass pressures etc. but not orientation and if people replace them.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I put mine together this spring. Don't remember any thing that looked like clocking would cause issues.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was able to look at it tonight with filter removed using a mirror and it's clocked same as old motor ( boss facing rear/ inward) so I am gonna leave the old one installed., like wondering if you locked the fort door as you left on vacation it always seems like you always did, by I am king of stressing over details.
Old 10-14-2016, 05:11 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Either way is prob fine, but I install bypass with the relief valve facing away from block....just because....leaves oil supply hole in side of block with nothing near it. Probably doesn't matter but we have choices right ?

Most performance engines I usually use a billet adapter with no bypass relief....that's a different subject though...other than some will have a flat section of an otherwise round base. The flat section is located next to the oil hole on side of filter boss on block.

Adapter I use with no bypass (performance engines)

Last edited by SB; 10-14-2016 at 06:31 AM.