Oil level question >

Oil level question

Notices

Oil level question

Old 11-08-2016, 06:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil level question

I have what may seem to be a simple question....or two.

After changing my oil for the first time on my Mercruiser 6.2s, I have a few variables that I want to understand to make sure I get the right amount of oil in the engine. ,

1). I pumped out just about a gallon of oil through the dipstick fitting. The oil filter was cracked and for the most part it was emptied. The engines were hot, so the oil was flowing freely. Oil coming out was stock merc 25w-40 semi syn.
2). I am using the merc racing filters, which should add a little capacity to the system. Stock filters are the short ones.

Question.
1. Without knowing the amount of oil that is still in the engine due to the dipstick suction method (I assume that the level could be incorrect, so I will not just replace what came out), how do I know how much oil to go back in?
2. What is the right angle to check the oil level? Obviously, the boat sits different on the trailer as it does in the water, on plane, or at idle.

All of these things combined with the different oil filter have me thinking....maybe over thinking. I want as much oil in the engine as possible for obvious reasons, but understand what happens when you overfill. I assume that the racing filters have an anti drain back valve so the first start should fill it up, and a recheck will be required.

Any advice would be great. Thanks
Old 11-08-2016, 06:35 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is what u can do u can look up merc spec on several boat site ,,more than likely it hold 6 or 8 qts...if u got a gallon out ,,then there is 4 qt plus a .half to 1 in filter set up....as for checking i always check with motor level as possible,,
Old 11-08-2016, 06:47 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

So you have 2014 --- 6.2 's Catalyst engines ?

Serial numbers of engines would help for the exact specs Not all 6.2's are the same here starting in 1999 to very current. Not even close for parts / ECM's and so on. Just saying
Old 11-08-2016, 06:59 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Does this engine not have a dipstick ?

Engine being level is better.
Old 11-08-2016, 07:20 PM
Registered

Serials are 2a171204 and 2a179017
Yes they have dipsticks(not the driver)...but there is a drastic difference in engine attitude when on trailer, water etc.

If the specs say(which I cannot find) that the dipstick is accurate with engine level, then that is the solution....I think. The engine only has a 4.5 quart capacity before the larger filter. A half quart matters...it is not like it has 9 quarts and a cooler. This thing is bare bones and I want it to be on the spec.

Thanks again.
Old 11-08-2016, 07:26 PM
Registered

It doesn't have the oil pan drain hoses that can be pulled through the drain plugs?

I have only seen 2 292's and both had them laying in the bilge.

Mine will take close to 5 quarts with the larger wix filter.
2004 6.2s
Old 11-08-2016, 07:26 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Merc can not guess what attitude your boat runs at. So, it is set for level. If you check it at a slight angle, no biggie.

I've been beating the living crap out of boat motors for almost 40 yrs, and take care of a good amt of others, None had any issues with oiling.

You are over thinking things.
Old 11-08-2016, 08:02 PM
BUP
Banned

The oil drain hoses are an option and do not come that way anymore. Mercruiser has a Service Bulletin all about it.

Hence another reason why I asked are these 2014 and engine serial numbers.

Last edited by BUP; 11-08-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-08-2016, 08:03 PM
BUP
Banned

mercruiser recommends checking oil level at rest in the calm water.

Last edited by BUP; 11-08-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-08-2016, 08:09 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Check the oil level in the boat when it's sitting in the water. That's the closest you are going to get to running angle, and that's also important for all the idling we have to do.

Pro-Tip:
-Take a cheap RV stick-on leveler from Wal*Mart with you on your next trip out.
-Once you have the boat in the water at rest, stick the level on the boat longitudinally. Stick it somewhere in a cabinet or somewhere, doesn't matter where.
-Then when you home, use the tongue jack on your trailer to get the boat's angle while sitting at rest on the trailer, to match the Level-bubble you put in the boat.
-Stick a second level on the trailer near the tongue jack so you can always repeat this set Level while on the trailer, easily.
--and/or you can mark your tongue jack's extension amount at the right height as well

All of the above is very handy when you want to know exactly what your fuel gauges read corresponding to fuel in the tanks; which is typically at different points when in the water vs. on trailer.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]561342[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Oil level question-516zru61ncl._ac_ul320_sr306-320_.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.