3.0 L 250hp EFI Mercury outboard >

3.0 L 250hp EFI Mercury outboard

Notices

3.0 L 250hp EFI Mercury outboard

Old 11-10-2016, 02:20 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 3.0 L 250hp EFI Mercury outboard

Do we have an expert or someone knowledgeable about the Mercury 3.0 Liter EFI outboards, specifically a 2003 model. I have some questions about the Smartcraft connectors, and a couple of other issues.? Am I better off on another forum for this information?
Old 11-10-2016, 03:37 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I am average at best with outboards but in the past have worked on them - Engine serial number and what other questions do U have ?

Just checking this is not an Optimax Merc ??

There is few guys up here that might could provide info on top of.

Maybe Scream and Fly website. I do not know cause this is basically the only site I go to.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:25 PM
Registered

Likewise with me on this site. It is not an Optimax but an 250 hp 3.0 Liter EFI. 2003, sn OT747727, 30" shaft. There is a small four pin Smartcraft connector on the port side of the powerhead, and I can find no reference to it in my service manual. There is a number on it which I will write down. My lower unit does not have a speedo pitot on the nosecone so it is not for that as far as I know. I have the larger Smartcraft connector on the starboard side of the powerhead.. 3/8" fuel hose is adequate for full flow? I have been working on this project for six years. It was my 35' Cigarette Awesome restoration until I cut 7' off the stern, cut the deck off, and made a 28' center console. There is an old thread on it under Cigarette. I am just using one engine since I am somewhat land locked in Colorado. Boat with engine dry is under 4,000 lbs. I used some high tech fabrication when I built it. Even put teak floors in. Thanks for responding. Bob.

Last edited by ren3; 11-10-2016 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:13 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

4 pin connector could possible the diagnostic / (DLC) connector

3/8 fuel line is a yes --- but use a brand new line and primer bulb of quality - change your old one out as Merc fuel line the inner liner comes all apart internally and causes huge fuel system problems.

For speedo your app might need the paddle wheel kit and the adaption. (smartcraft)

If your fuel system was sitting with fuel in it for that long 6 years - it will need to be address as well ALONG with the FUEL INJECTORS. Just saying.

Also I was in your neck of the woods about 6 months ago. My wife is from Colorado and loves Evergreen. She wants to move back ASAP but we both are stuck here in TX. She has been in TX for 7.5 years only and hates it so badly. it is not a big boating state so I have no idea what on earth I would do there. Sorry for the ramble.

Last edited by BUP; 11-10-2016 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:56 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can tell you the smartcraft on some are a pain, the smartcraft connector is 10 pin, hanging just below the PCM purple inside, harness to helm, there is a 4 way connector there, splits to a tach and speedo harness's to each gauge(specific cables). you can use a paddle wheel speedo pick-up(std) merc or there is a connector on the speedo harness at gauge for a GPS ant..hope this helps, been battling my optimax ones for months
Old 11-11-2016, 03:40 PM
Registered

BUP, thanks for the information. I will get a cable number tomorrow. No fuel in the system. New 80 gallon tank. No existing fuel line. New one on the way. Tell your wife that Colorado has changed a lot. You may have noticed the incredibly rude drivers. Too much growth in the last few years. I have been here for 31 now.

Ezstriper, thank you. I grew up in Virginia. Went to UVa. Spent a lot of time at Mary Washington chasing women!
Old 11-12-2016, 12:42 PM
Registered

The harness is Smartcraft 84-859244 A1. It is six pin, and I believe it is for diagnostics. I know that the ten pin is on the starboard side for instrument connections. Thanks.