Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
LED Docking lights, any experience suggestion. >

LED Docking lights, any experience suggestion.

Notices

LED Docking lights, any experience suggestion.

Old 01-19-2017, 03:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED Docking lights, any experience suggestion.

Do boating at night and docking lights help to light up the channel markers. Wondering if anyone has a suggestion experience running the new LED docking lights at speed at night.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:55 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

You can't use docking lights when underway -- I believe that is against the law - Docking lights are just that - used to dock the boat

3pointstar
Old 01-19-2017, 06:28 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a hand held spot light. I feel it's more versatile and does a better job.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:38 PM
Registered

Not sure we understand the situation.

There are a lot of channel markers and a narrow channel. I have done a lot of night boating at speed it is a lot of fun. But you need to use the docking lights. I have used the normal old style in similar situations I was just wondering about the newer LED versions.

Hard to drive the boat with one hand have the throttles in the other and hold a spotlight.....

So if anybody has experience with the newer LED docking lights I would appreciate it.

I do not shine lights into other boaters eyes, I do not like when that is done to me so I do not do it to anyone else.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:12 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

White light mean the stern of the boat. Someone may try to over take you and run head on into you if they are on in a channel. Also in Maryland it's not legal.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:30 AM
Registered

Well you are too close to Washington and all the Liberals that use to live there. lol.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to say but if you are doing late night boating at speed in a small channel you are asking to be on the news. I cruise down the river at night at 35, it's a river not a channel. I only do this in areas I know and I can use the lights from the high way to help spot the markers. I know where they are where I boat and can spot them with a spot light within 10 feet of their location when going down the river when I need to.
If you are in a really tight channel and are having to use docking lights to run at the pace you want to you are going to fast and are in my opinion being unsafe. I understand the response you are looking for, but I can't see anyone here having any input for the type of boating your talking about. Except a new uneducated boater.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:27 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

You can't have white lights on the front of the boat illuminated when you are under way. It is illegal across the country.
The only time it is acceptable is use the docking lights is when you are idle, while immediately coming into a berth.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:51 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 1981Scarab
Not sure we understand the situation.

There are a lot of channel markers and a narrow channel. I have done a lot of night boating at speed it is a lot of fun. But you need to use the docking lights.

Hard to drive the boat with one hand have the throttles in the other and hold a spotlight.....

I do not shine lights into other boaters eyes, I do not like when that is done to me so I do not do it to anyone else.

I'm never going out boating at night after reading this.. terrifying that you feel it's ok ..funny read though!

Just a tip..
dash lights off.. running lights on..low height stern light to help dash glare..
Old 01-20-2017, 12:56 PM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

It it TOTALLY ILLEGAL. And this is not one of those dumb laws. If a boat is coming head on towards you with them on 1: they may blind you and 2 you cant tell if they are at 10 plus degree angle left or right. IE you cant tell if they are crossing your path or going away from your path. YOU are going to kill somebody. Navigation at night is a 2 person job with a good GPS, Knowledge of the waterway, and the second person running the spotlight.

Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.