Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Moisture in heads and top side of Valve cover help. >

Moisture in heads and top side of Valve cover help.

Notices

Moisture in heads and top side of Valve cover help.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:50 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Moisture in heads and top side of Valve cover help.

So this is a new motor gen6 block with dart 345cc aluminum heads 9.5 compression Hardin Marine two piece valve cover and seaward series exhaust with HP500 risers. also running a 2" space and dominator carb. I ran it on the dyno with no problems. then ran It on he hose twice and lake tested one time so far. I noticed after running it the carb and intake are cold to the touch and sweating. a couple a days later I pulled the dip stick and the oil was clean but a bit low so I pulled the oil fill cap to add oil and saw beads of water i the cap I took valve covers off and there was moisture on the rocker arms and some white residue on the inside of the valve cover . its also on both side on the motor. the water right is pretty cold and engine temp oil and water stayed low not sure if that has anything to do with it. I was wondering if anyone has seen this before any in put would be helpful. thanks, [ATTACH=CONFIG]564097[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]564098[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]564099[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]564100[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Moisture in heads and top side of Valve cover help.-009.jpg   Moisture in heads and top side of Valve cover help.-013.jpg   Moisture in heads and top side of Valve cover help.-017.jpg  

Moisture in heads and top side of Valve cover help.-018.jpg  
Old 01-24-2017, 11:24 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Wow that could be so many things. How's the valves?
Old 01-25-2017, 01:23 AM
Registered

I pulled a few spark plugs and they seem ok. What do mean by how are the valves ?
Old 01-25-2017, 01:42 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Most likely condensation caused by low oil temp and cold water temps.
If the oil temp does not get to 212* it does not evaporate the condensation.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:30 AM
Registered

have oil temp gauge ? if not need one, oil temps need to reach 212 to get of condensation, if you are running a crossover and no thermostat and cold engine temps and a decent oil cooler with no oil thermostat there lies your problem I believe..
Old 01-25-2017, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

That's normal when the oil and or water is too cold when you don't have enough heat to burn off the moisture. Condensation inside the motor happens the same way a cold beer can condensates on a hot beach. It sounds like you need a thermostat for the water, oil cooler, or both. If it was a serious problem then you'd have a milkshake in the oil filter.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:32 PM
Registered

Ok thanks. I don't have a thermostat for water or oil I do run a cross over and I have oil and water temp garages . I only ran it for a short on the lake and the Temps never moved so I doubt I got to 212.
So most likely when spring and summer come this should go away right ?
Old 01-26-2017, 01:50 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by Jfoster
Ok thanks. I don't have a thermostat for water or oil I do run a cross over and I have oil and water temp garages . I only ran it for a short on the lake and the Temps never moved so I doubt I got to 212.
So most likely when spring and summer come this should go away right ?
Maybe......... An oil thermostat may still be needed.

Also, if you don't have one, you should get a water pressure gauge. Crossover's can cause it to be too high.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:33 AM
Registered

I had the same issue with my procharged 500hp setup with large cooler and lines, added a canton oil thermostat cured it on the spot...
Old 01-26-2017, 06:50 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

the oil does not need to be 212 to boil off the moisture,their have been many threads about this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.