Notices

Merc 700sci

Old 01-29-2017, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Merc 700sci

Should I or shouldnt I , just installed Whipple stage 2 kits in my engines 190 hrs should I replace springs , rockers, if so what should I go with on springs , rockers , retainers ? there,s not to much info out there on this .
Old 01-29-2017, 06:16 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I would most definitely replace the springs and rockers.
The crane Golds that are in them are hit or miss with the bearings letting loose or seizing up.
The springs dont have enough seat pressure imo to not float the valve when the blower is pushing on them to stay open.

You got almost 200 hrs on them save yourself some headache and do some preventive maintenance so you dont have to worry about it during boating season.

Looks like you are located nearby me, PM me if you like I can get you the info of who I'd tell you to talk to to help you out.
Otherwise you can always call Eddie Young, or Mark Boos, They will sell you what you need also.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:55 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by hustlerguy
I would most definitely replace the springs and rockers.
The crane Golds that are in them are hit or miss with the bearings letting loose or seizing up.
The springs dont have enough seat pressure imo to not float the valve when the blower is pushing on them to stay open.

You got almost 200 hrs on them save yourself some headache and do some preventive maintenance so you dont have to worry about it during boating season.

Looks like you are located nearby me, PM me if you like I can get you the info of who I'd tell you to talk to to help you out.
Otherwise you can always call Eddie Young, or Mark Boos, They will sell you what you need also.
Why would anyone put Eddie Young & Mark Boos in the same sentence?
Give Eddie a call, he knows what works. Top Notch!
Old 01-29-2017, 07:16 PM
Registered

If you are insinuating Mark is not top notch... I will strongly disagree!

Neither one of them do anything but quality work and are nothing but class acts.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:58 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

The cam in the 700SCI is the same as the 500EFI cam and not that extreme. I would say it depends on how hard they have been run.
I would do leak downs and check spring pressures and go from there.

At almost 200 hrs, its getting close to being time for complete top ends with head gaskets.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:33 AM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

Pushing 200 hours - redo the top ends as already advised, and save yourself a sizable repair bill if you drop a valve and down time on the inevitable failure. Water should be pretty stiff in Minnesota right now so its great timing to have the work performed.

BTW, Great upgrade with the Whipple stage 2's!
Old 01-30-2017, 07:47 AM
Registered

Highly recommend the bigger intercooler water fittings and cooler thermostat also.
More boost equals more heat needing more water cooling for safe reliable operation.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:20 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

great option......unless you are pushing that additional hp through a merc transmission. The stock trans usually gets neglected and boom. I would vacuum the 1 quart out and change every other oil change, The crane gold rocker arms also must go. I had the needle bearings on two rockers fail and caused me to do a complete teardown on the search for all the remaining needles. Merc does not put screens in the lifter valley so they were everywhere.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:43 AM
Registered

Once top ends are done.
Oil and filter changes every 25 hrs and tranny and drives once a year or every 50 hrs and that's worked well for me.

Can't recommend it enough the crane gold rocker arms gotta go asap!
Old 01-30-2017, 09:20 AM
Registered

Hustlerguy what goodies did you use in yours ? Im not pulling the heads with this many hrs seems to low .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.