PPI before purchasing engines? >

PPI before purchasing engines?

Notices

PPI before purchasing engines?

Old 02-18-2017, 08:15 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default PPI before purchasing engines?

Im tentatively planning to purchase a pair of engines from another member on OSO in order to repower my boat. The engines are about 500 miles away near Salem Massachusetts, have been rebuilt and are sitting on pallets in the member's garage. This is my first time buying motors like this, and I'm no engines expert. Would it be reasonable and helpful to arrange some kind of pre-purchase inspection by a nearby engine shop in order to check if there are no obvious pitfalls with the motors? If so what should i specifically ask them to check and any ballpark on costs to do it? Finally, if anyone knows a reliable motors guy near Salem, suggestions are welcome. Thanks folks.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:34 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

who is the member?most of the guys around here are honest and can be trusted.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:43 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Assuming you're talking about relatively expensive performance engines that are advertised as being in great shape / low hours, I'd want them run on a dyno. If they perform as advertised and don't blow up you ( the buyer) pay for the dyno and get some valuable information and piece of mind for your money. If anything goes wrong with them on the dyno then the seller pays and picks up the pieces while you head home.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:02 PM
Registered

Member Genob here on Oso. I have no reason to distrust him, just want to consider if there are some general guidelines i should follow in order to avoid regrets. Motors apparently have zero hours on rebuilds by Thunderboat Bob. BCK If i can get the dyno sheets from when Bob rebuilt would you generally just go with those or would you still like to see them run independently?
Old 02-18-2017, 09:26 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I guess it depends on how much you trust the seller and whether you can talk to the builder. Depending on the circumstances I'd want them run to verify they are what the seller claims and and they aren't damaged. My idea sounds reasonable to me. It's just too much money to take a chance on in my opinion.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...k-rebuilt.html

Last edited by bck; 02-18-2017 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

If you don't run them on dyno pay parts price at best, does he have full build sheets, parts list? If it's hp 500's it's easier to take a chance then on a set of 1000's all makes a difference
Old 02-18-2017, 09:50 PM
Registered

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

was told was done to them
HUNDERBOLT ENGINES
Mercruiser 502 -500hp– 575+ hp engine package
1-502 gen 5 block , std bore , 4 bolt mains ,one pc rear main , honed , ck aline bore , cleaned, prepped , new cam bearings
2- steel crankshaft, 4.00 stroke , polished , balanced with assemble .one pc rear main ,cleveite 77 bearings
3- 7/16 dimple connecting rods , performance rod bolts, cleveite 77 performance bearings
4-forged std 502 performance pistons , performance wrist pins , mahl plasma rings , 9;1 compression , 93 + octane
5- crane marine performance hyd roller cam, mhp 300, hyd roller lifters , cloyes timing chain, crane roller rockers , 3/8 pushrods .080 , timing cover , degreed + 4
6-World/merlin after market performance heads , grump model, ss valves , performance valve job, valve springs , harden retainers , port clean up , surface , proper spring psi for hyd roller cam. alum valve covers
7-team G alum intake , spacer, throttle plate , 830 Holley carb , flame arrestor, fuel lines , fuel filter bracket
8- 8-Qt oil pan, hv oil pump, remote oil system , hoses, hd oil cooler , race oil and race filter
9- mercruiser thunder bolt ignition system , dist, brain box, new cap, rotor, spark plugs
32 degree total advance
10- water pump , with pulley,
11- harmonic balancer , lower pulley, alt bracket, mis adjusting brackets , engine wiring harness, alternator , ,bravo flywheel,
12- mercruiser sea pump with fuel pump , new impeller kit ,
13- Build up on engine, assemble, blue print , set clearances, degree cam, set lifter per loads,
14- dyno engine , break in, oil change , load test , performance test , air fuel adjustment , set timing . change oil with VR-1 20-50 racing oil
15-dress engine with marine hardware , paint engine ,
16- hp starter , with spec bolts ,
Old 03-05-2017, 04:09 PM
Registered

Havent been successful finding an option to dyno anywhere near the seller, but have spoken with the builder and may proceed without the dyno run. How do people on here generally conclude a sale like this? Simple contract for motors in as-is condition to be dropped off at agreed shipper with a couple of days or receiving a bank transfer? I was going to ask to do via paypal as they have buyers protection (Paypal can claw the funds back if what is delivered doesnt match what has been promised), but did a search and saw that many on OSO are dubious of paypal for scams. Just curious what is the normal method, thanks.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:01 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

i would make the trip to the engines,do a visual inspection and if i felt good at that point i would tell him to load them up on the truck,then pay him in cash and head back home.if they turn out to be junk you know where he lives,and he knows that.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:41 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
who is the member?most of the guys around here are honest and can be trusted.
This ^. Unfortunately there are some scammers on here. Do some research on the seller. That's what I did before I drove to Tennessee to buy my 525 from "Thuderusone". Everyone spoke highly of him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.