Welding Aluminum Exhaust Manifolds >

Welding Aluminum Exhaust Manifolds

Notices

Welding Aluminum Exhaust Manifolds

Old 03-19-2017, 04:05 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Welding Aluminum Exhaust Manifolds

Has anyone attempted to do any welding on aluminum exhaust manifolds. I have a set of IMCO old style (round water exit hole) manifolds and one manifold has some questionable water jacket holes at the top of the manifold. Riser gasket will cover, but just barely on one side. It's about an 1/8" out toward the large exhaust hole. Both water holes look wallowed out. Needs to be filled and brought back to round. I am not comfortable installing it in that condition. Other manifold is fine.

Just wondering if it's possible and worth trying to repair (and will it hold) or just try to find another one somewhere?
Old 03-19-2017, 05:16 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

It can probably be done (have not done myself) but I would vote against it. Figure if it eroded away at one point, there are probably others just as bad if not more so
Old 03-19-2017, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

s,
I have had intake manifolds welded many times. It seems like the worst erosion is at the joints so fixing that should set you up for a while. You typically have to grind the metal away to get to a good clean surface before TIG welding it. Then you will have to have it resurfaced. Sometimes that is he trickiest part because it is difficult to get a lot of manifolds into typical resurfacing machine to mill them.

I guess it depends on whether you can find another manifold for a reasonable price also. I would expect welding and resurfacing yours to be several hundred dollars depending on the amount of welding needed. Picture would make it easier to determine.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BillK
s,
I have had intake manifolds welded many times. It seems like the worst erosion is at the joints so fixing that should set you up for a while. You typically have to grind the metal away to get to a good clean surface before TIG welding it. Then you will have to have it resurfaced. Sometimes that is he trickiest part because it is difficult to get a lot of manifolds into typical resurfacing machine to mill them.

I guess it depends on whether you can find another manifold for a reasonable price also. I would expect welding and resurfacing yours to be several hundred dollars depending on the amount of welding needed. Picture would make it easier to determine.
I don't know squat about welding, but I don't think it's going to take much to do it, if it can be repaired. It is just at the very top of the manifold and only extends down about 1/4" or so into the manifold.

Unfortunately, I can't post pics here. I am going to call IMCO tomorrow and see what they can suggest if anything. Also, I have a friend who can weld on any metal, thought I would show him what I have and see if he can do anything about it.

Last edited by shunter2005; 03-19-2017 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

most any welding shop that tigs should be able to do it, but as mentioned very limited on where they can get, so if its bad where you cannot see ???
Old 03-20-2017, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Our local shop does them , $35-50.00 for cast aluminum , they even do cast iron. Did a 351 cleveland manifold for 90, a few years ago and it is still in service.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ezstriper
most any welding shop that tigs should be able to do it, but as mentioned very limited on where they can get, so if its bad where you cannot see ???
Thanks. If IMCO can repair it, I may send them there, but either way it's not much use to me in it's present condition. Worst thing, it's not repairable. No worse off than now. Got to try it out and see what happens. Looks like someone didn't want the studs to come out, so another little problem to deal with.

Originally Posted by airjunky
Our local shop does them , $35-50.00 for cast aluminum , they even do cast iron. Did a 351 cleveland manifold for 90, a few years ago and it is still in service.
Thanks for the info. If I can't find anyone here that is confident, I may get the name and number from you.