Shore Power Reverse Polarity

Notices

Shore Power Reverse Polarity

Old 04-18-2017, 12:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shore Power Reverse Polarity

Hi guys and gals-
I have a 2006 Baja Outlaw. I have shore power and used it fine last summer. I actually was using a heavy extension cord with a 30 amp adapter at the boat. I later realized that the extension cord ground tab was broke. this means I had power and no ground which may or may not be relevant, but I wanted to make sure you knew. I decided to leave the fridge on for the summer and keep drinks cold. It worked fine for a few weeks, but then 1 trip to the boat and the batteries were dead. The fridge worked fine once I charged it, but I thought I had fried the battery charger. So I opted for an external battery charging over the winter. Last week I decided to put a new charger on the boat and did. When I powered the boat, I do not get electricity to the charger. In fact, nothing on the boat works. On my main board with switches, the reverse polarity light is on. I checked the power and it is not reversed at my marina. If I turn everything off the reverse light goes off, but as soon as I turn 1 thing on it says reverse. I don't have power anywhere. Any ideas on where to start? On another note, the old battery charger was fine. I am wondering if I have some inline fuse or resistor that is smoked. If so, where could it be?
Old 04-18-2017, 12:29 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If it sees a difference between whats on the white wire and black wire , you can get that , and a tripped cfci, often ends up being a bad shore power cord , or plug at the boat
Old 04-18-2017, 02:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by airjunky
If it sees a difference between whats on the white wire and black wire , you can get that , and a tripped cfci, often ends up being a bad shore power cord , or plug at the boat
I tried a different power cord. I was wondering if the gfci circuit could be effecting it. I guess its a cheap way to see what happens.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:27 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The red light only lights up if the neutral is hot, assuming the ground wire is actually grounded. Get a decent cord with a functioning ground and retest.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:53 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Ground fault will pop if you have the slightest 110 leak to ground. I have also seen dock outlets wired backwards. Could also be backwards upstream somewhere so the white is hot and black is neutral.