496,,trim limit switch >

496,,trim limit switch

Notices

496,,trim limit switch

Old 04-27-2017, 06:50 AM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts
Default 496,,trim limit switch

so I noticed that on my boat with twin 496 Hos the trim limit button brings the out drives all the way up,,acts like the trailer switch.
it does have the 3 wire digital sender on the left side of the gimbal ring(looking at the gimbal) and the 2 wire sender on the right side,,both switched on both engines are not plugged into anything but wrapped up nice and hanging on the transom and it looks like it left the factory that way,

so on the rear of both engine harness there is a 3 way connector marked as trim sender not plugged into anything,was wondering if that needs to be plugged into the 3 wire digital trim limit sender ?the boat does have mechanical trim gauges but I would like to have the trim button on the throttles work correctly and not act like a trailer button,,

Thanks
Old 04-27-2017, 07:18 AM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

The 3 wire digital sender is designed to be all in one, both gauge and limit, and is used with smartcraft. Do you have smartcraft?
Old 04-27-2017, 07:22 AM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

What year? My '04 boat (engine built 9/03) has the same setup. Digital trim limit on the left and analog trim indicator on the right facing the gimbal. My trim in handle suddenly started acting like a trailer switch and no adjusting of the puck would correct it so we figured switch is bad. Go to order a new one and Merc discontinued it and replaced it with a single, digital puck (included a block off plate for other side) that serves both as trim limit and trim position switch. Could not get it to work properly even using the analog interface Merc said was needed for the digital signal to work with the analog gauge (I have no Smartcraft gauges). Final solution at the time was to install analog senders on both sides so trim limit and trim gauge would work but computer would beep at you as it had no digital signal anymore from the old digital limit sender. So the new dual digital sender was hung off the wiring harness at the back and plugged into engine wiring harness so PCM was happy even though limit and position is now being handled all analog. So long story short, with your current setup the PCM has to already have the digital signal from the limit switch or it would not be happy. This all was done back in the spring of '15 so not sure if Merc has come up with a final solution on the new dual purpose puck working properly with analog trim position gauges. That doesn't matter in your case I guess since you have mechanical (cable) trim position gauges. Anyway, I think your existing digital trim limit sender is hooked up but it is bad so I would try replacing it to see if you get your limit back (assuming you already tried adjusting the position of the puck on the gimbal ring).
Old 04-27-2017, 07:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by AllDodge
The 3 wire digital sender is designed to be all in one, both gauge and limit, and is used with smartcraft. Do you have smartcraft?
the boat is a 2004 and I do not have smartcraft gauges but the engines have smartcraft

Last edited by boatnt; 04-27-2017 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
What year? My '04 boat (engine built 9/03) has the same setup. Digital trim limit on the left and analog trim indicator on the right facing the gimbal. My trim in handle suddenly started acting like a trailer switch and no adjusting of the puck would correct it so we figured switch is bad. Go to order a new one and Merc discontinued it and replaced it with a single, digital puck (included a block off plate for other side) that serves both as trim limit and trim position switch. Could not get it to work properly even using the analog interface Merc said was needed for the digital signal to work with the analog gauge (I have no Smartcraft gauges). Final solution at the time was to install analog senders on both sides so trim limit and trim gauge would work but computer would beep at you as it had no digital signal anymore from the old digital limit sender. So the new dual digital sender was hung off the wiring harness at the back and plugged into engine wiring harness so PCM was happy even though limit and position is now being handled all analog. So long story short, with your current setup the PCM has to already have the digital signal from the limit switch or it would not be happy. This all was done back in the spring of '15 so not sure if Merc has come up with a final solution on the new dual purpose puck working properly with analog trim position gauges. That doesn't matter in your case I guess since you have mechanical (cable) trim position gauges. Anyway, I think your existing digital trim limit sender is hooked up but it is bad so I would try replacing it to see if you get your limit back (assuming you already tried adjusting the position of the puck on the gimbal ring).
2004,,both sender wires come through the transom plate and zipped tied on the side and neither one is plugged in,,and on the engine side the harness is also zipped tied and pushed of to the side,,and they look look like they have been that way since new.so I am not sure why its not beeping
Old 04-27-2017, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

My guess is the flag is not set in the ECM.

I installed a new HP transom assembly with the digital trim sender on the starboard side. Then like Knot also added the A/D converter for the limit and gauge. Neither worked correctly, so just unplugged it, and the trim button works the same as the trailer drive with no limit
Old 04-27-2017, 08:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by AllDodge
My guess is the flag is not set in the ECM.

I installed a new HP transom assembly with the digital trim sender on the starboard side. Then like Knot also added the A/D converter for the limit and gauge. Neither worked correctly, so just unplugged it, and the trim button works the same as the trailer drive with no limit
yep thats how mine is,,both unplugged and trim button works like the trailer button