Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
twin outboard v-bottom setup >

twin outboard v-bottom setup

Notices

twin outboard v-bottom setup

Old 03-16-2003, 12:01 PM
Too slow

Default twin outboard v-bottom setup

i know this isnt a hardcore outboard site.but i posted the question on scream and fly already i just want to tap into as many brains as possible ..24 ft v-hull 3000 lbs 24degree bottom ..twin EFI bridgeports(240 hp) i am going to install jackplates this year .but i was also told to move motors closer together..how does this actually help?..is it worth the new holes in transom and being a little more difficult to work on? any documented gains from doing this?...and on the jackplate situation..and recommended setback? or x-dim? thanks for any help..

Old 03-16-2003, 06:32 PM
coolrunning racing
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

do you have the race cowlings that drop down over the powerheads? move the motors closer together. don't use alot of set back. if you are going to use jackplates i would first look at portaproducts hydraulic transom. if that isn't something you would be interested in then if you are going to use regular hydraulic jackplates then mount them in the holes you have,make and bolt a plate across both plates, use one pump and tie both pistons into it, this way they move as one and you can relocate you engine centers with out redrilling your transom. just my opinion.
Old 03-17-2003, 10:12 PM
Too slow

thanks for the info MRV..i like the porta bracket idea because i know your experienced at setting up outboards but i dont really want to spend that much money on the boat.i was even thinking about going with manual jackplates.a guy around here has set up a couple of twin outboard bananas and thats what he used...do you think it would be woth the extra cost..rigging and "one more thing to break" factor to use hydraulic plates? any brand of jackplate you recommend?..setback? thanks again

Old 03-17-2003, 10:19 PM
coolrunning racing
VIP Member

manual cmc's would do fine. i used 9" set back on my single ob banana before i went with the porta bracket. you don't need to go hog wild on setback unless you really need to change cg.
Old 03-18-2003, 09:21 PM
Too slow

thanks again MRV.....ill probably have more questions as i go along..i hope you dont mind ...i thought there would be some superboat guys chiming in but i guess not...

Old 03-19-2003, 06:51 AM
coolrunning racing
VIP Member

you could also ask Jo from pantera boats , they ran their boats with twin OB's as well. i,m sure he has alot of experience as well.
Old 03-19-2003, 07:41 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

TooSlow you have a Superboat!!! Turns out I used to race one. In fact our boat raced against Mrv8outboard out on the Cape. I had to sit that one out as I was in a car accident and my back was wacked. Anyhow I have seen 24's set up with and with out jackplates. The Tempest (30 footer) that we raced has no jack plates. They really plane off quite well with the engines set up high and unless you are going for EVERY last MPH you would probably see more gain from putting on a really kick azz set of props. I see you are in MA. If you want any help with doing the work we can get together on weekends and I can give you all the help you need. I can also show you the set up on the race boat. The engines close together serves two purposes that I noticed. one is that it keeps the boat more level, and it also keeps the drives in the water just a tad longer. Docking SUCKS however as you can no ability to turn the boat with the engines close like that.

Jon
Old 03-19-2003, 07:55 PM
Too slow

hey Jon..thanks for the info..i hate to let you down but i have a Banana not a superboat...oh well...i think i got some advise before from you but it was a while ago...yes i am from mass.usually do boating in boston harbor area...

Mike

Old 03-20-2003, 08:54 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike Bannana's are very similiar in set up to Supers. All the ones that I have seen with twin outboards all run with the engines on the transom. Jack plates would probably allow you to tweek it a bit but I would just go with manuals. You will find the sweet spot just fine Anyhow my offer still stands if you need any help. I often times on the weekends do Friday and Saturday out of Hingham and go into Manina Bay and then into Tavern on the Water with a group of peple. Keep in touch over the spring and we can all hook up.

Jon
Old 03-23-2003, 04:25 PM
Too slow

that would be cool Jon...ill contact you sometime when i get my tub up and running

Quick Reply: twin outboard v-bottom setup

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.