Rocker Arm Stud Sealer/Thread-Locker/Aviation sealant or nothing >

Rocker Arm Stud Sealer/Thread-Locker/Aviation sealant or nothing

Notices

Rocker Arm Stud Sealer/Thread-Locker/Aviation sealant or nothing

Old 03-26-2003, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocker Arm Stud Sealer/Thread-Locker/Aviation sealant or nothing

Im getting confused here.....My Mechanic says to use the avaition form-a-gasket from Permatex. He says that if it's for avaition you know it's meant for vibriation and lots of stress...ARP says just use oil or their lube. They mention I can use loc-tite if I want but it isn't neccessary if there torqued to 50lbs. Several here on the board have mentioned teflon tape,GM Teflon sealer,loc-tite,Indian Head and Permatex....Napa,Advance Auto and Autozone all carry ONLY Permatex. They have a red hi-strength threadlocker that says it's for rocker studs but dosn't say a word about sealing. Since Im using L31Vortec heads (SBC) im running into water passages...My question is this IF ARP is reccomends using 30wt oil dosen't this mean that a thread locker is not needed? Now in my mind (Yeah it's small thats why im posting ) You might need a thread locker at least a little. The Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket says its intented "gaskets,machined surfaces and screw thread connections of airplane and automobile engines"
HELP!!!!!!

Bad-Habit
Old 03-26-2003, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If they are going into the water jacket then you will have to use some sort of sealant. I use a teflon pipe dope. Not tape.
Old 03-26-2003, 08:57 PM
Registered

DONT use red locktite. They will never come out again. I use "High Tack" when needed.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

Red loctite comes out with a torch. Needs around 450 degrees to kill the bond.
Old 03-27-2003, 05:23 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Local automotive parts houses don't carry the different types of Loctite. You have to go to an industrial supply house for it.
If you can't find any, use a light coating of oil and torque'em real good.

Like I said on the other thread, the only reason to use a "sealer" on threads is when the bolt holes or stud mounting is open to water or oil.
An aircraft piston engine uses long studs that thread into the crankcase. They are open to oil and require sealing to prevent leaks.

And like I said before, only those Loctite model numbers I listed require heat for removal. They aren't all like that.

Automotive rocker studs do not thread into holes that are open to water passages. That's why a "sealer" is not required.
If you aren't building a full blown race engine, then Loctite is probably not required.

Click here to answer your questions and clear up misconseptions about Loctite products.
Loctite Thread Compounds

Last edited by Iggy; 03-27-2003 at 05:57 AM.
Old 03-27-2003, 10:32 AM
blown1500

On most big block chevy heads, the intake rocker studs go through to the intake runner and are a possible source of oil contamination into the port. I just use teflon sealer on these, oil on the exhaust, and torque TO HEAD MANUFACTURER SPECS.

Old 03-27-2003, 12:13 PM
Registered

Iggy Now you have really got me confused I've been told that on small block chevy's that they do thread into the water jackets! I mean when I took the studs out water came out.....What gives?

Bad-Habit
Old 03-27-2003, 08:50 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Teflon pipe sealant.
Old 03-28-2003, 09:37 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as I know they don't.
I don't recall ever seeing ones that did. The pressed in studs go into a blind hole. I don't think drilling and tapping opens them up that big.
I'll look into it and let you know.
Old 03-28-2003, 11:26 AM
Registered

PLEASE DO!!!! Because mine sure do

Bad-Habit

Quick Reply: Rocker Arm Stud Sealer/Thread-Locker/Aviation sealant or nothing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.