big ci bottom end >

big ci bottom end

Notices

big ci bottom end

Old 04-06-2003, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
Default big ci bottom end

Wanting to build/buy a 540+ cube short block, after reading Audio's thread on the perfect 540 i'm a little confused. What i'm looking for is a N/A motor with super mid range torque, dependability, and the ability to use my rect. port iv heads for now, until i get enough money to buy some good alum. ones.
After reading that thread though, i'm not sure wether to go with a tall deck and longer rods, or a short deck with bigger bore and be able to utilize my heads, intake, distributor, etc. I don't want to cheap out on the bottom end, I really would not want to look at it again for 300- 500 hrs I've beens seeing the inside of engines much too much lately.
So for a N/A motor whats the best route for the end of the day? It's mid april already, thought about picking up a dart/merlin block, and a complete rotating assembly from Lunati or callies and putting it together myself, but the problem then is i've got to get flywheel, balancer, oil pump, cam, lifters, etc. alll seperate. Wouldn't it be better to pick up a complete --pan to deck short block? I've been told that my cast iron rect. port heads will work on the gen vi block, would like to just transfer all from my 461's over to something actually new.
Can anyone tell me the pro's and cons of the stroke vs bore war?
Old 04-06-2003, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look under Big Chevy on ebay motors, there a a few good kits for sale there I saw this morning. I have dealt with Dynoflo and he was great to deal with. I have an eagle 4340 crank in my motor and ran it all last year no problems,looked brand new when apart this winter, on a 540 blower motor. His complete ready to assemble balanced kit for around four thousand with a Dart Big M block is a deal. If I made any changes you might go with a set of billet Oliver or Crower rods, and I think this would be a great combo. I have billet Lunati in mine.
Old 04-06-2003, 08:47 PM
bobby daniels

JUst go with 250 long rods and short deck so you can use your stuff this is a good combo of motor ,I'll help you with the parts or the deal on e-bay sounds o.k. if the rods and pistons are a good brand ,,,advise and I'll help if needed

Old 04-07-2003, 09:17 AM
Registered

Hey Del sol,
Give Lenny at Millennyum Marine a call. He is doing exactly what you are talking about in a friends 31 Scarab. The guy is on a budget and they HAVE to be reliable. I know what he is spending and the price is right.
His number is 586 468-7361.
They are hoping for speeds of 83-84 out of the 31.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:50 AM
Registered

Thanx Chuck, I just got off the phone with him, he's going to give me a price. Did you say that you had some issues with your eagle crank? I told him I'd rather stay away from them. Now I've got to come up with 2 gen 6 502 blocks. Unless I go 2 new darts

Isn't the dart factory near you/close. Wonder if you can buy direct, or if there is ever any scratch and dent blocks??

Last edited by del sol; 04-07-2003 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:59 AM
Registered

We did have some issues with the first three cranks. Nothing major as long as the person building the motor caught it. It just seems like they don't have that good of a QC dept. for thier machining. For the price and in a N/A motor I don't think there is any problems with them. I know in the past I said I wouldn't use one again but I've had the motor apart twice since it's been together (lifter problems) and it was fine. Just as long as the machine work is checked. I haven't heard anything about the ones he's putting together now .
I thought you had some 502's in your boat now ? Can't you use those ?

Last edited by 26scarab; 04-07-2003 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-07-2003, 10:12 AM
Registered

No my 10 hr. 454 gen 4 rebuilds look like they've got closer to 250 hrs on them. So instead of putting the wedges in the heads to pump them up I figured i'll just buil up some 540's and use my rect. heads, I need the extra torque anyway. so now I'll have 4 454's for sale here soon, I'm going to run them until these 540's are built then just pull and swap parts. I'm getting real good at pulling these motors

Bobby--- whats the best/ cheapest way to get into 502 blocks, as i'll need the balancer, flywheel, pan, etc.

Last edited by del sol; 04-07-2003 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-07-2003, 01:17 PM
Registered

3 eagles in a row--- doesn't sound so hot,

what about the scat cranks, it seems there's alot of them being advertised also.
from what i've been reading this morning the 4.25 stroke crank is the same price as the 4.50, why would i got to that right away, even the block is the same---that is if i end up buying a new block
How much diff is there between the 509 and the 540 in the end?? I'm looking at it and thinking i could use my present steel cranks out of the 454's into a 502 block and get into a pretty reasonable 509, as long as i can find 2 gen 4 502 blocks!
500-550 hp should be possible? plus the increased torque i would think,

Last edited by del sol; 04-09-2003 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-07-2003, 01:47 PM
Registered

Just remember there is no substitute for cubic inches !
I think the Scat crank is along the lines of the Eagle stuff. Just remember, engine parts are like alcohol the more you pay the better the stuff.
I think 500-550 would be a little much for the 454's.
I don't know is Lenny mentioned it but he has some rebuilt 525's for sale. They have zero hours on them. But for that kind of money I would rather build the 540's.
Contact Rod at Performance Marine, I don't have his number but I'm sure someone on this board does. He might have some blocks. He could also build something for you, he is another very credible engine builder, just not local like Lenny.
Old 04-07-2003, 02:06 PM
Registered

500-550 would be the 509's --4.5 bore * 4.00 stroke,, I was running 475 with the 454's already. So if i put in a hyd. roller cam into the 509 i'm guessing should be up there close to 525 +/-.

Quick Reply: big ci bottom end

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.