Notices

Weber Carbs

Old 04-09-2003, 07:23 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Weber Carbs

Qusetion??? On my 93 454 mag I have a Weber carb that after sitting the bowls seem to drain back down, making for a tough start. Does anyone know are the newer Weber carbs subject to the same problem?? I have a chance to get a good deal on a 97 carb, but no sense changing if I'm not going to solve the issue.

Thanks Brian
Old 04-09-2003, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have a Webber carb on a 454 chevy?
Where did that come from. A stock 454 would have a Q-Jet on it. Post a pic of this carb please.

P.S. is your boat a 230 conquest?
Old 04-09-2003, 01:20 PM
Registered

some were around 1990 Mercruiser was forced t switch to the weber carb because GM stoped production of the Q-Jet a few years prior. PQ do a search there has been much chat hereabout that problem what it really is and the best and not so best ways to fix it. And last no, the 97 will not be any better. Now some of the 502 Mags did come with a 750cfm unlike the 600cfm you have now. Rag's
Old 04-09-2003, 01:53 PM
Registered

Airpacker, You are correct on the 23' Conquest. And yes it did come with a weber from the factory. I bought a Mercruiser electric fuel pump to install to correct the sitting problem. But after doing a little research on the install, seems to be more work than it worth. Simply found a good deal on a newer Weber and thought maybe they corrected the problem but based on Rags response "NO GO". Oh well not a total loss! Anyone needing a new electric fuel pump I'll let it go cheap!

Thanks again!!!
Old 04-09-2003, 02:13 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

My carb on my '93 454 Mag was a Weber also. I have heard this was a common problem, but really never had any problems with mine. I did some mods and went to a Holley 800. I do still have this carb, if you want it. $50 to your door. You could have it rebuilt and gone through and not have the down time of having to get yours done.
Old 04-09-2003, 04:24 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

23Conquest, where in Michigan are you? Where do you boat?

I'm not all that familiar with the Weber carb, but if the flange is the same as a Holley, or there is an adapter (like there is for a Q-jet) you might consider switching. There are a lot of people holding on to older Holley's too......after upgrades and such....you might have better luck finding one of these than trying another Weber (sorry Griff!!).

I'm in Grand Rapids and boat a lot out of Grand Haven, Muskegon, and Holland. Let me know if I can help.
Old 04-09-2003, 06:32 PM
Registered

Waterfoul, I'm out of St. Joseph, just South of you. We normally
make several runs to South Haven as well as trailer up to Holland a few times. What are you running??
Old 04-09-2003, 07:18 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run a 24 Baja Sport. If you are going as far as Holland by trailer, skip it and go to Grand Haven instead. Much more powerboat friendly.
Old 04-09-2003, 07:26 PM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Weber AFB (aluminum four barrel) is notorious for the starting problems you are encountering. I had one myself and regardless of a rebuild, it continued to give me problems.
Go with the appropriate size Holley.
Old 04-09-2003, 08:11 PM
Registered

Been to Grand Haven many of times with my Scarab. Yet to take the Powerquest there as of yet. Sold my Scarab about 6 years ago (fast but what a piece of junk compared to the PQ), and just bought the PQ last summer. It feels good to be back on the water!!

Quick Reply: Weber Carbs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.