Yamaha drive conversion. to Merc ? >

Yamaha drive conversion. to Merc ?

Notices

Yamaha drive conversion. to Merc ?

Old 04-09-2003, 08:22 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha drive conversion. to Merc ?

does anyone know if you can convert a yamaha drive over to mercruiser?? has anyone done this?? It's a V6 application- can't find a used yamaha drive
Old 04-09-2003, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I swapped a 454/Yamaha package over to a Bravo last summer. The transom cut out had to be filled and recut for the Bravo. You will need a Merc coupler and bell housing and in this case I had to fabricate a pair of riser blocks for the engine mounts. You will also need a Merc shift cable bracket and change the cable ends. I had retained the Yamaha trim pump but had to change the Merc trim hoses to accept the metric fitting on the Yamaha pump. and I can`t remember exactly but we had to rewire the power trim system.

If I had to do it over again, I would have swapped the entire motor/drive package. You will find that most of the Yamaha motor accessories are really hard to come by. We waited 3 weeks for a sea pump.

Good luck,
Kurt
Old 04-09-2003, 01:11 PM
Offshore Addiction

all you should have to do is pull the assy and swap it with the merc and bell assy,they passed a law years ago so that you dont have to refill and redrill the holes.......depending on the year swap......kinda like the outboards had to follow.......now merc and volvo will interchange etc,etc....I think yamaha followed suit the little time they were in business!only the old volvo and old omc have to be filled.......and merc even has an adapter plate now for the old volvo!most of the old omc seadrive boats are all scrapped!

Old 04-09-2003, 02:34 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Are you calling me a liar? I did the job myself and the hole is not the same.
Old 04-10-2003, 06:56 AM
Offshore Addiction

not at all,just that it should be double checked prior cosidering the possible year differences!

Old 04-13-2003, 07:09 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same problem with a shot yamaha drive on my dads19' Baja. Cant find a replacement and the boat isnt realy worth all that work to swtch over to a bravo If anyone ever comes across a yamaha drive give me a shout