Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Anybody thrown a rod? What to expect? >

Anybody thrown a rod? What to expect?

Notices

Anybody thrown a rod? What to expect?

Old 04-10-2003, 12:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody thrown a rod? What to expect?

Threw a rod in my 454 last year at the Richmond Radar Run. I am getting ready to take the engine out for repair and am wondering if I can put a new rod and bearings in the one hole and be done with it. Stock crank, stock rods, Keith Black hypereutectic pistons.......The motor started after it threw the rod (had to get out of the channel!!) and ran, not well of course....
Thanks,
Ken
Old 04-10-2003, 03:39 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

I doubt you actually "threw a rod" If it ran after that, you probably just spun a rod bearing.
If you threw a rod, you'd have a hole in the side of your block. More than likeky if its just a rod bearing, you will have to pull the crank and have it machined and install new bearings. If you are going to do that, you might as well have the entire engine gone through.
If you actually broke the rod, chances are the block is trashed.
Old 04-10-2003, 07:09 AM
Registered

Won't really know what's trashed till ya open it !
Old 04-10-2003, 07:41 AM
Registered

Default been there, done that

I bought my boat with spun bearings in one motor. I "thought" I could do a good rebuild at a modest cost. One rebuilt motor broke after only 10 hours and I got to do it a second time (Turned, polished and reused the original crank. Even though it checked ok on mag test it broke in two after only 10 hours with no real hard running). If I had it to do it over I'd just by a 502 long block, it would be less work and negligible difference in cost (probably less if you can't do all the work on the rebuild yourself).

Anyway, here are a couple things to think about:

Spun bearings put trash everywhere.

Plan on complete disassembly, hot tank block, remove all oil plugs and brush all galleries at least two or three times, blow out with air inbetween to dislodge any stuck junk

trash crank (see above) and replace with new

new rod (actually I'd do a full set, weight matched. If reuse the old ones they all should be checked and sized if needed and get new rod bolts)

new psitons (Probalby all, again weight matched set. Make sure you have appropriate clearances for a boat motor.)

new lifters (and maybe cam, again you can't tell if any metal made it into the lifters or not and cam may show some pitting) and pushrods (another place metal can hide)

all new rings, bearings and gaskets (too inexpensive to try to reuse any from old motor)

don't forget to flush all the external oil lines and put in new oil coolers (you can never really clean the junk out of an old one)

-Greg

By the way, the motor still ran with the 2-piece crank, but it sure did knock a lot and oil pressure was ziltch at idle.
Attached Thumbnails Anybody thrown a rod? What to expect?-crank_small.jpg  
Old 04-10-2003, 07:55 AM
Registered

When something like this happens it's kinda like Christmas, you gotta open it up to see what you got.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:53 AM
Registered

I never thought about the crank letting loose. I definitely have a hole in the side of the oil pan where something came apart!! Sounds like my .060 over block is most likely toast then. 40 hour $4000 rebuild
Old 04-10-2003, 08:58 AM
Registered

might be time for a short block, less time to get back on the water. And if you look around I bet you can find one better than you had for less than 4k.
Old 04-10-2003, 09:05 AM
Registered

I'd agree. If there is a hole in the pan "I" would take off the heads and accesories and throw everything else away.

-Greg
Old 04-10-2003, 09:16 AM
Registered

If there is a hole in the pan one head might need some work or be junk too, who knows how far up the piston went before it went down and out.
Old 04-10-2003, 11:28 AM
Registered

I threw one out of the car window at a road sign one time. made a heck of a racket,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Quick Reply: Anybody thrown a rod? What to expect?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.