Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Trim, blower and bilge pump problem, any ideas? >

Trim, blower and bilge pump problem, any ideas?

Notices

Trim, blower and bilge pump problem, any ideas?

Old 04-13-2003, 09:41 PM
Allan4

Default Trim, blower and bilge pump problem, any ideas?

These are not related, but what do you think?

1. Outdrive trim is very slow both ways, like it is pulling off of a low battery, even when the boat is running on the hose. Everything else seems to have plenty of power and runs full speed. Is it in the pump or is it not getting a good feed of juice?

2. Bilge pump turns/runs, but does not pump water. Clogged line?

3. Motor room blower keeps poping the in dash circuit breaker. One of the blower motors has a loose shaft and it caused the little propeller thingy to fall off. Is this motor shorting itself out? should I replace just that motor and leave the other side be. I guess I could cut the lines on the "faulty" one and see what happens. Currently they both run for about 10 seconds, shut off for a second, refires for another 1-2 seconds and then throws the breaker.

Thanks for any adivce, I found 2 of the 3 this weekend while laying on my head trying to get 'er ready for the season.

Seeeee ya gents......Allan

Old 04-13-2003, 11:16 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Blower problem: test by disconnecting them
one at a time, run them, find out which one
blows the breaker, then, replace that
blower.

Trim pump: check the heavier guage
red and black wires coming off the trim pump,
check the connections at the ground stud at the rear
of the engine.

Or is it possible that the oil is still cold,
and due to the heavier viscosity, it's running
slow ?

good luck,
jt
Old 04-14-2003, 09:36 AM
Allan4

jt, thanks. I was gonna test the blowers like that today, just ran out of time yesterday.

I thought about that with the trim pump, I also thought about it pulling on the hydro sterring a little bit, however, it did not do this last season in Nov when it was REALLY cold. Been 60's and 70's around here lately.

Thanks, I'm gonna trouble shoot a little more today, anyone else have any ideas. Thanks, Allan

Old 04-14-2003, 07:09 PM
Allan4

After laying on my head for another few hours today, I got 'er pretty much figured out.

One blower motor was kicking the breaker, removed it. I'm just gonna put a new Bilge pump in and the trim on the outdrive was slow because..........how stupid is this, I traced the power wire to the wrong battery. The trim pump was drawing from a battery that turned out to be dead, eventhough I trickle charged it all winter......go figure. I guess I should have just kept my mouth shut and dug a little more....

Thanks guys.

Allan