Notices

Crossovers

Old 04-16-2003, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crossovers

I've been reading your stuff for months,it's all Great,first time I posted, here goes....I know they say that a Alpha drive water pump will not support a small blocks cooling at idle. Is this because of the restriction from the thermostat? and if it is is it possible to use the manifolds to pre-heat the water first then go through the engine thus eliminating the thermostat? The reason I ask is I have my dad's old crackerbox, 283 small block chevy and that is how it is plumbed. I noticed the other day that the neo-vane pump on it dosn't look any bigger than the one in the drive? I've been thinking about this for days, thanks in advance!
Old 04-16-2003, 11:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the board first. I have seen BBC ran off alpha water pumps before so I do not see a problem with a SBC. You could use the manifolds to preheat your water but most run a restrictive orifice also to keep water pressure at an acceptable level. Crackerbox that has to be a blast to drive!
Old 04-17-2003, 08:14 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Plenty of water for a small block. Marginal for a big block.
Old 04-17-2003, 05:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanx guys! I am going to try it. The crackerbox is a blast, my uncle built it in 53 and its been in the family ever since. Also I heard there is a impeller for the outdrives that is better than the rest?