Stainless/Braided Fuel Hose & Fuel Pressure Guage >

Stainless/Braided Fuel Hose & Fuel Pressure Guage

Notices

Stainless/Braided Fuel Hose & Fuel Pressure Guage

Old 04-17-2003, 03:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stainless/Braided Fuel Hose & Fuel Pressure Guage

I have decided to purchase a fuel pressure guage to mount to my edelbrock performer carberator. Since Im doing this I would like to also replace my fuel line from the pump to the carb also. I want to get the stainless steel/braided hose. Does anyone have any suggestions as far as size/length and fittings? Also what about the guage. What kind of fuel pressure should I be getting? At idle and at W.O.T. Im running a stock Carter Marine pump. Summit sells a kit which is supposed to have lines,fittings and the guage included. Any thoughts..Im hoping this can help me rule out my LEAN and or MISS problem in my earlier post
Thanks

BH
Old 04-17-2003, 06:47 AM
Registered

#8 from the pump to the "Y" and the two ends to the carb will be #6.

DAVE
Old 04-17-2003, 06:48 AM
Registered

Oh, and you should see 6-8 lbs of fuel pressure
Old 04-17-2003, 07:47 AM
ren3

I believe that to meet USCG regs and for your own safety you should be running rigid tubing from the fuel pump to the carb. Bob.

Old 04-17-2003, 09:24 AM
Registered

That's right. Though it seem that everyone does it, including many engine builders, direct-read mechanical engine-compartment fuel pressure gauges, aluminum AN fittings, and braided stainless fuel line are all not USCG approved. The reason that aluminum AN fittings and braided stainless are not approved is because AN fittings can and will corrode where the stainless braiding contacts the AN fitting - especially if exposed to salt water . I've seen it happen more than once, and you may be OK if you only run in fresh water. If you do go with aluminum AN fittings and braded stainless lines, keep a good eye on them. Aeroquip has a complete line of USCG stuff that's pretty nice - highly recommended.

Last edited by ForrestC; 04-17-2003 at 09:27 AM.
Old 05-03-2003, 08:11 AM
CBPBA's Walmart Greeter
VIP Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been trying to find the specific regulations regarding braided stainless steel hose for fuel delivery from my electric fuel pumps to my carbs.

From this USCG link, see page 5. It's a graphic PDF and can't be searched, so you'll have to scroll down. In short, it says:
Question: Can stainless steel be used in fuel systems on gasoline powered pleasure vessels?

Answer: Stainless steel fittings are acceptable, but stainless steel fuel lines are prohibited. Each metallic fuel line connecting the fuel tank with the fuel inlet connection on the engine must be made of seamless annealed copper, nickel-copper or copper nickel.
If the "type" of hose must be visible, that pretty much eliminates the use of stainless steel braided hose for fuel delivery. From yet another USCG link found here (see pages 37 and 38) it's still vague and subject to interpretation unless you consider the quotes around "USCG Type A1" to mean visible and stamped/printed on the hose.

I give up, don't want to have the coasties end a good day of boating and impound the boat until the condition is remedied. Unless someone knows where the USCG addresses the issue of using ss braided hose specifically, I have to go back to the standard lines. USCG Group Baltimore is in my river daily.

Here's another related OSO'er thread from last June

-----------------------------------------

CHESAPEAKE BAY POWER BOAT ASSOCIATION
'http://www.cbpba.com'

"Experience is something you don't have until just after you need it."
Old 05-03-2003, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I was going to use the hard stainless tube that summit sells for all plumbing on the engine. Other wise USCG approved rubber from the tank to the pump.
Double flareing the ends of the stainless like the "Merc" lines.
My brother in-law is on active dudy with the guard now, I'll see if he came get some answers.
Old 05-03-2003, 08:46 AM
CBPBA's Walmart Greeter
VIP Member

I just spoke with USCG Group Activities Baltimore this morning, and they referred me to check with the Marine Safety Office folks on Monday.

In the meantime, the 2 guys I spoke with there today did tell me they're only interested in a few things when they board and inspect the bilge in recreational boats. They check to ensure there's a USCG or SAE stamped flame arrestor installed and unclogged, check for excessive fuel or oil in the bilge, and check the ventilation system.

From a boatowner standpoint, I think another concern should be with the insurance company, I would imagine any policy is going to stipulate the boat meets all USCG regulations. If a situation occurs as a result of the failure in a non-USCG approved device or installation guideline, they won't pay off the claim.

I'll follow up on Monday or Tuesday after I speak with the Marine Safety Office. Unless it's something in writing, a phone conversation won't be of much use either.

Old 05-03-2003, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Call my Brother in-law who is stationed in Boston.
He does inspection on the big ships more looking for bad guy's.
But he talked to some guy's who are in the auxiliary
they pretty much said you wont have problems as long as any rubber line have the USCG approval stamped on them
Old 05-06-2003, 03:08 PM
CBPBA's Walmart Greeter
VIP Member

An inspector with USCG Marine Safety Team 2 (by name of Oakley) told me today there's no issue using stainless braided fuel line because it exceeds the J1942 standard. He quoted some CFR numbers, and stated the obvious, "it can't be stamped or marked on the outside due to the steel woven fabrice on the outside".