How fast will it go? >

How fast will it go?

Notices

How fast will it go?

Old 04-20-2003, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How fast will it go? ** RESULTS **

Results will be in soon. Boat is an 89 BAJA Force 235, weight is around 4600 on the water. Original power was 330 with a speed of 58 on speedo. Second power was 502 mag crate motor with stock cam, unknown power but lets say 425. Speed was 68 on GPS and a light run at the end of the year of 70 GPS under ideal conditions. New power is 502 with Nickerson Carb and his cam, B&M 250. No head mods etc. Both 502's had Lightning headers. I will find out middle of the week when the new prop shows up.

Tim T.

Last edited by BadDog; 04-24-2003 at 05:13 PM.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you will probably see a 10 - 12 mph gain with the 250. Good luck.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:42 AM
Registered

Old 04-20-2003, 10:56 AM
Registered

What prop did you use with the 502 cratemotor? I have just installed a 502 mag MPI with Rex(Gil) exhaust in a 1988 Baja 235 Force. Hope to see 68 with a 23 inch Mirage Plus. Will test it tomorrow.
Old 04-20-2003, 11:40 AM
Registered

Mats,
I used a heavily modified 25 Mirage Plus. The blades were thinned and re shaped as well as the diameter being cut down a 1/4 inch. This prop gave me better mid range speed than the 23 MP but about the same on top. I think you will be fine with the 23 Mirage Plus. I tried it and would have liked to keep it but I already paid for the 25 MP that was modified. You are welcome to try this one out or my 25 Mirage. I also tried a 25 Mirage and it worked pretty well. Both of these as well as a box stock 25 MP with solid hub are for sale.

Have you looked at the hooks on your hull? I think a little speed is there if you were to remove them. Baja sold these boats with all around performance in mind and many came with SB Alpha and no tabs. I have plans to remove them but don't have the time right now. With a BB and tabs and speeds into the 60's I don't think they are needed. Keep us posted as how you make out. I think you will be pleased. What power were you running before?

Tim T.
Old 04-20-2003, 12:22 PM
CESSNA

Smile 69 mph

Ruined a good crate mt. ,,,,,your transom will be nickerson black

Hope not but ,2 off my friends did the same and got those results

Great luck to you though

Old 04-20-2003, 12:27 PM
Registered

Cessna,
pretty optimistic huh? I have run the boat. Idles perfect and at midrange the plugs are chocolate to light tan. One 5200 RPM pass with a fresh plug in #7 hole and it was tan. Prop was too small so I could not wring it out.

OK, lets be specific. How long ago did these problems occur? What problems did they have? Was the engine properly blower prepped? Anything I should look out for in particular? Help if you can. You sound like you have some first hand experience.

Tim T.
Old 04-20-2003, 12:52 PM
CESSNA

Tim glad you didn't take it as an insult .
Nickerson is kown for not indexing power valves,which is the old school for tuning a carb for blowers much has been written on this board if you do a search on power valves ,ect
So he hax to make the mixture over rich to compensate for the carb not knowing how rich or lean it needs to be under part throttle as I understand there is always a vacum under the carb
and fools the carb ,,,so his transoms do show a rich condition

good luck it will work but better if it was indexed ( more h.p. and milage)

Old 04-20-2003, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

When I bought my Top Gun the carbs had recently been done by someone in Cali. The boat was unuseable, fouling plugs every ride. I sent the carbs to Nickerson to be set up. 671`s Superchillers. The boat idles great and runs clean all the way through.

I could not be happier with Dean Nickersons work. As far as I am concerned, he is The Master of Holley carbs.

Nickerson carbs completely eliminated my black transom problem.

Kurt
Attached Thumbnails How fast will it go?-dcp01106.jpg  
Old 04-20-2003, 02:48 PM
bobby daniels

I THINK I'M GOING TO PUKE NOW

i AGREE with cesna look at some of the older threads on this ,its proven not a feeling or guess . You had something wrong with one set had one guy fix it and now he's the best and no ones better NOT,you'd pass-out to have them indexed right .
Cessna has the right idea but you need to learn more about it
on the old threads ,just my 2 cents worth

Quick Reply: How fast will it go?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.