Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
A Spun Coupler >

A Spun Coupler

Notices

A Spun Coupler

Old 04-24-2003, 11:09 AM
outlawntexas

Unhappy A Spun Coupler

I'm looking for data and opinions on this subject. I spun a coupler last weekend between my engine and outdrive. Stats are like this: Twin 502 mags W/Bravo1 drives. 8500# boat (342 Baja). It let go when I hit the throttles from a no wake speed. Is it the 415 Hp tearing them up from a slow speed or some other issues?

Thanks,
Bruce...

Old 04-24-2003, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 60 Posts

I had mine go last year. I have a single engine boat. They go bad when the engine is out of alignment. My motor mount top nuts were loose causing the motor to move up and down. It only takes a little to ruin your coupler. Unfortunately, you have to pull your motor to replace them. About a 700 doller job. I would check the other one while I was having it done if I were you. Good luck
Old 04-24-2003, 12:00 PM
outlawntexas

I'm having that done. I am just wondering if the holeshot is what causes failures on this engine & outdrive combination.

Bruce...

Old 04-24-2003, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Outlaw,
The Bravo package should easily handle the 502's 415hp. The question I might ask is how hard of a holeshot do you pull and how often? If you go WOT every time you come out of a no-wake zone it will definitely take it's toll on the coupler and the outdrive itself.

You didn't mention year model of the boat so this may be off base but a weak transom can flex and will also ruin couplers. Any misalignment in the engine drive package puts a great amount of stress on the couplers and gimbal bearings.

Check your rear mounts while your engine is out. There are springs and fiber washers where the engine bellhousing attaches to the inner transom assy and rubber impregnated mounts pressed into the engine bellhousing. They're very inexpensive and it wouldn't hurt to change them now.
Old 04-24-2003, 12:34 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Bruce,
holeshots aren't causing the failures,
the couplers I've changed have failed
due to either lack of lubrication of
the input shaft splines, or engine
misalignment.
It's the bottom nut of the motor mount
that comes loose,allowing the engine to drop.
There are lock tabs on the bottom nut that are
suppose to prevent this from happening,
but it still happens.
A word of advice, periodically check the motor
mounts, see if there is any gap between the
top nut and the mount, if so, the lock tabs aren't
holding, and the lower nuts are loose, and the engine
is dropping.

jt
Old 04-24-2003, 02:21 PM
outlawntexas

Thanks for the technical input guys. The boat is a 2000 with 90 hours. I didn't know about the possibility of engine mounts loosening up. I'll need to review that and the condition of them with my mechanic doing the work.

Thanks again,
Bruce...

Old 04-24-2003, 03:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I notice you are in Tyler. Who is fixing your boat?
Old 04-24-2003, 04:16 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a 29 Outlaw in the shop right now that spun a coupler. It has about 30 hrs. on it. I found a loose motor mount and there was not a drop of lube on the input shaft. Either one could have caused the problem.
Old 04-24-2003, 04:39 PM
B.R.S.

I replaced one for my buddie. Lack of grease will do it.

Old 04-24-2003, 05:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may not have to totally remove the engine! My mechanic unboted the mounts and moved the engines enough to get at it. Don't spend $700 if you don't have to!

Quick Reply: A Spun Coupler

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.