Motor Alignment >

Motor Alignment

Notices

Motor Alignment

Old 04-30-2003, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 89 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Motor Alignment

I think the back of the motor is too high....When the tool first contacts the coupler, I feel the nose of it try to go down. The bottom nuts on the front mounts (stock pogo mounts) are all the way down....The tool goes in about an inch with a little effort then tightens up. Then it requires more effort to pull it back out. It does however, spin easy once it is in. I hit the tool on the bottom, top and sides with a shot filled mallet, and that helped a lot because before it wouldn't even go in that far. My question is, are the rear mounts adjustable? Maybe thy need replacing? What should I do? Thanks in advance.
BTW I replace the gimble bearing...Not sure if the alignment was correct before.
Joey
Old 04-30-2003, 12:29 PM
patrick22309

When I did my bearing, I had to align the bearing to the motor using the tool. Wouldn't go in at first. Since, I have removed my motor and installed and no alignment required. I do have very small spacers under my rear mounts.

Old 04-30-2003, 02:04 PM
Scott72

Your stock mounts probably need to be adjusted up a tad which would raise the front of the motor (and angle the back down more). There is no adjustment in the rear. The easiest way to tell were your alignment is out is coat the alignment tool with grease, then you can see were the splines on the coupler are hitting. I have a solid mounts and when aligned properly the tool would slide right in and out with no hangups.

Old 04-30-2003, 02:35 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The tool I have is two piece. The handle is the same size as the coupler. I unscrew the handle and put it into the coupler and look to see where the tight spot is. (between the handle and the inside of the gimbal bearing ) If it is tighter on the top of the shaft then I raise the front of the motor. If it is tighter on the bottom then I lower the front of the motor. You can get side to side play also. Once You get it close then you screw the handle back on and make your fine adjustments from there. Even if the rear mounts are sagged you can still get the coupler to align with the gimbal bearing but it is not properly aligned with the drive.

Is the handle on your tool the same size as the alignment end?
If so turn it around and try to see where the tight spot is.