Gen V Seawater driven Fuel pump kit >

Gen V Seawater driven Fuel pump kit

Notices

Gen V Seawater driven Fuel pump kit

Old 05-06-2003, 12:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Gen V Seawater driven Fuel pump kit

I have Gen V ? MPI 502's with a mechanical carter fuel pump driven off the sea water pump. The sea water pump holds a few onunces of gear lube to lubricate the upside down mounted fuel pump arm and shaft lobe.

Last year I lost a seawater shaft, bearing and seal due to fuel thinning out the gear lube. Mec only sells this as a 500.00 assembly. I was able to get the bearings and seals to salvage every thing but was not able to get a diapham kit for the fuel pump. The pumps are fine but I suspect fuel must be getting past the diaphram and diluting the gear lube. If I remember right Mec. fuel pumps were about $ 150.00.

This year while changing an impeller on the other side the lube is also diluted and the fuel pump has the same problem. I flushed and changed the oil in it last year so I know it was fresh.

The pump is a Carter 0-2008, I was unable to locate kits before but they are rebuildable. Does anyone know where kits are available or shoud I change them over to eletric pumps like the newer ones? I dreed the thought of 250.00 bucks only to have this happen again down the road.

Any one with this set up should check the lube in the sea water resivoir because the first 2 dealers I went to knew nothing about it.

Thanks for any help any one can shed on this for me, Dan
Old 05-06-2003, 12:37 AM
Registered

Sorry I forgot to double check the Fuel pump # before I hit submit.
The correct Carter # is 0-2208
Thanks Dan
Old 05-06-2003, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

When I installed my procharger, I noticed the same condition. The oil reservoir was filled with gas. I noticed a gas smell before but could not locate it. I would sell you my pump cheap, but it has the same problem as yours.
Old 05-06-2003, 12:40 PM
Registered

I have had the same problem and was recommended to buy a new fuel pump by the dealer. He said that the pump was not rebuildable but again, he was selling the pumps.
Old 05-06-2003, 02:35 PM
Registered

$150-00 for the pump is high.
I just bought a fuel pump for a HP500 and I paid around $120-00.
Do a search here OSO, you can buy these pumps from Auto parts store, a lot cheaper than thru mercruiser. The pump diaphrams do go bad overtime, I replace my pump every 150- 200 hours
Old 05-06-2003, 03:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the same problem on my old boat. Kept finding fuel in the oil. Kept replacing the pump when I found the fuel. *****ed at my Merc dealer and he did some research. Seems they know about the problem and they told him that I should change the oil once a year. Crappy way to fix the problem if you ask me. The newer models have an oil drain for the oil.

Ron
Old 05-06-2003, 04:20 PM
Registered

I was going to just order two pumps and be done with it, but after Rons comments it may just be do to the pump being inverted.
If that s the case sounds like I could still have the problem with new pumps. Maybe the anser is to mix the lube with grease to offset the dilution.
Thanks all for the imput so far, Dan
Old 05-07-2003, 11:01 AM
Truckin

Default Diaphragm leaking?

Always has been a problem, one time I asked a smart Mercruiser rep about it (not to many of them around) and he suggested to me that maybe the fuel was coming from the yellow vent hose connected to the EFI intake/Vapor Sep. Tank. I don't know if that is really the problem but it could be. If you are game, maybe disconnecting the yellow vent hose from the pump (plug the hose) would show less fuel dillution in the oil reservoir. I would think that if the fuel pump diaphragm was leaking, it would also be coming out of the barbed hose fitting on the fuel pump housing (particularly since it is under some intake vacuum).
Without the hose attached to the pump fitting one would assume that a puddle of fuel would develop in the bilge under the fuel pump (if it were leaking past the diaphragm).
A check for a bad fuel pump diaphragm would be to apply vacuum to the pump/diaphragm and see if it held (Mighty Vac vacuum pump).
Good luck
Sincerely
Dennis Moore