Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
High water pressure-----Need help! >

High water pressure-----Need help!

Notices

High water pressure-----Need help!

Old 05-21-2003, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default High water pressure-----Need help!

At WOT I'm doing close to 30psi. I have a Mark IV blower motor, no thermostat, with crossover.
Can anyone walk through this. On how to get the water pressure down to 20-22psi. Pics, diagrams, and which pressure valve.
I know a lot of you guys come up with some good equality stuff.
Thanks for the help.
Old 05-21-2003, 09:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dump-off valves

Jrock,

I had the same problem with both of my engines. Check out Wett-Vett on the board. He sold me a pair of pressure relief valves that work great. They are fully adjustable and easy to install. My pressure was over 40 on both engines. They now ride comfortably at around 18-20.

Mike
Old 05-22-2003, 10:07 AM
Registered

Thanks Mike.
Our you going to be out in cocktail this weekend? Maybe I can check your system out. Haven't seen you out this year yet, boat running ok? I've got the powerplay.
Old 05-22-2003, 10:32 AM
Registered

I use relief valves from Grainger. Put in a softer spring and it works well. Easy on the wallet also.
Old 05-22-2003, 11:15 AM
Registered

I looked at that at Grainger. Is it the Watts 530L-1/2 for 13.00? Don't you need a valve that has a Tee. So you can tap in your water line. And what kind of spring do you put in to reduce the pressure. The 530L is 50-175lbs. Is it also in the grainger book?
Thanks.
Old 05-22-2003, 11:41 AM
Registered

I use the Teel 4UN31 or 32 depending on the pipe size. Bronze body - stainless ball.

Buy a spring at Ace Hardware or anywhere you can buy springs. Set it with a leakdown tester.

I put it on a "T" or on the inlet of the sea water strainer. It has many fittings. It can go just about anywhere in the system.
Old 05-23-2003, 07:38 AM
WALKIN THE DOG

Hey guys,

Having a water pressure problem also. Keep blowing the intake gaskets in the front. Motor was set up with a 160 thermostat which according to my temp guage it will never open. The boat only runs 130 cruising and maybe 160 or the throttle. I just bought a dump valve and installed a 140 thermostat. I am also installing a water press. guage. Where is the best place for this? If I put it in the block it will just get clogged with sand/grit.Any help would greatly be appreciated. Have had this problem since the motor was built. The builder says "it's condensation", which is BS. Water and oil don't mix!

Old 05-23-2003, 09:04 AM
Registered

I been running the Wette Vette system for 2 yrs on my Carrera cat. I run a crossover WITH a thermostat. Water temp is 140-150 all the time. It's cheap, easy to install, and works great. Pressure was 50+ before and now I have it dialed in at 20 psi.
Old 05-23-2003, 01:03 PM
WALKIN THE DOG

jdncal,

I don't have a clue what my pressure is at but imagine it is off the chart. Under 4000 rpm all day no water mixes at all. First blast over 5000 and BINGO..... water in the oil and the intake gaskets are blown. Going to put the gauge in this weekend and dump valve. I hope this is the answer. It sucks changing the oil 10 times a year.

Old 05-23-2003, 05:27 PM
bobby daniels

man I've never had that happen !

I would for sure fix it asap as its killing the bearings I would think
and your wallet buying oil !

you might check the fit on the intake as this is not common ,but it is for head gaskets to weep or head studs to weep ,
Good luck

Quick Reply: High water pressure-----Need help!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.