Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Broken Skeg On Drive >

Broken Skeg On Drive

Notices

Broken Skeg On Drive

Old 05-23-2003, 05:27 AM
TeamSonic42

Default Broken Skeg On Drive

A friends boat with twins, has the skeg on the starboard drive broken off at an angle upwards from the bottom of the skeg. About 3" of skeg is missing ( across the entire width of the skeg ), still lots left, but he asked if this was dangerous or could cause handeling issues or problems ? There is a tie bar between the drives, and the port drive skeg is fine.

Both drives are fine operational wise, as are the props.No damage. He bought the boat this way.....

I know you can have the lower section of the drive removed, and a new skeg welded on. Thats what I told him to do. He though one of those "Skeg Protectors" would be a temp fix. I advised didnt know enough to make a sound comment as to potential issues either way. Its on a 38' Sonic

What do you guys think ?

Old 05-23-2003, 06:30 AM
patrick22309

Default Skeg Guard

Don't let him put a skeg guard on. I put one on my drive last summer becasue the boat I purchased had about 3in missing. The first rock I hit took off the entire skeg. It is cheaper <$200 to get a small part added back than the entire skeg.