496 HO stalling???? >

496 HO stalling????

Notices

496 HO stalling????

Old 05-24-2003, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 496 HO stalling????

The starboard engine in my 03 33 Outlaw is quiting occasionally. This happens as or shortly after I hear 2 quick alarms. The dealer hooked the computer up to it the other day and it showed an error with the cam or camshaft sensor as well as a problem with the drive res. sensor. Both were replaced and sure enough I had the same troubles today. This has happened a couple of times while traveling over 60 MPH. No bad reactions from the boat what so ever but I hate the thoughts of this happening any more. My dealer and their head mechanic is very good but I thought I might ask it here to see if anyone else may have had this problem and know what it might be. It is starting to get annoying wondering what the heck is going on. Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 05-24-2003, 09:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

THey have a lot of problem on the crank sensor but this doesn't quite sound like the norm symptoms.
Old 05-24-2003, 11:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Sound the alarm !!!

Highmark,
A customer once brought me a Powerquest with the same alarm and problems as you describe, after extensive searching and on the phone with Mercury we found the problem to be that the positive battery cable to the starter was loose and shorting as well as the customer was never instructed by the dealer to not run both engines with the battery switches in the ALL position. This will sometimes cause one altinator to shutdown and run only off of one if there is a charging problem.

Might not be your case but well worth the look. His codes also said cam and crank sensor but there was nothing wrong with the sensors .

Good Luck.

Pwrbt33
Old 05-25-2003, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a crank position sensor go bad on one of my HO's. If the engine fires right back up after stalling, it probably is not that. I also had an electrical problem that caused the two short alarms that you mentioned. Mine was caused by a bad battery switch which resulted in corroded terminals. Definitely check out your battery terminals and make sure they are clean and tight.
Old 05-26-2003, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will check these out today. Sounds very much like what it could be.