Bravo one oil consumption???

Notices

Bravo one oil consumption???

Old 05-26-2003, 10:20 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bravo one oil consumption???

I have a 2001 bravo one drive.

First season out last year ( 100 hrs ) I had to fill drive lube monitor 4-5 times last year. (Used 1/4 of a bottle of quicksilver high perf. gear lube over the season. Dealer says it's normal on some drives. They checked it over the winter and the seals looked OK. No water in oil. Warranty ends in 7 days... Should I trust in my dealer or should I require more ???
Old 05-26-2003, 10:32 AM
CESSNA

That oils going somewhere and make sure he writes it up and gives you a copy and puts one in your file ,that way when it breaks you can go back to him with proof its not normal on any of my stuff over the years

Old 05-26-2003, 12:21 PM
32' SUNSATION
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check where the ruber hose from the res bottle connects to go thru the transom. I had a boat where I kept having to refill the res. but the outdrive tested fine. it was leaking at the barb where it goes thru the transom. I put a hose clamp on, and the oil consumption stoped...
Old 05-26-2003, 12:51 PM
Registered

Good idea... I'l check it out over the week-end.

Thanks
Old 05-26-2003, 12:57 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had one that leaked out at the prop shaft seal . need put a presure tester on it.

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 05-26-2003, 04:53 PM
Team Gary

Do you see any green oil in the bildge? That should tell you if it's leaking inside the transom or outside.

Old 05-26-2003, 06:18 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its not normal. Its a sealed unit, does not burn oil so how does it consume oil. I would check the fittings from the bottle to the transom. If they did in fact pressure test the drive, and it holds pressure, that leaves only the monitor and plumbing to it to leak.
Old 05-26-2003, 09:57 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same thing on last boat. Pressure tested and vaccum test the drive. Nothing. Also no leaks in the bilge, nor ever see any oil slick while in the water. Never could find anything. Also replaced the whole drive last summer with a brand new one. Same thing. Would have to add some oil to the reservoir bottle approx. every 2 months. I just chalked it up to nature of the Bravos and ran with it.
Old 05-27-2003, 05:17 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Replace the O-ring #4, 25-457101 that goes on the drive shaft housing. This is the O-ring that seals the drive shaft housing to the transom for the overflow. It can leak when the drive heats up and forces oil into the reservoir. Leaking there is hard to find as it only leaks when you are running and oil will be washed off by a drive shower or water from exhaust tips, spray etc. Sometime you will see a slight film of oil when you first stop.
Old 05-27-2003, 06:07 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

I had a 2002 last year(brand new) that was losing oil only when I ran it. It would sit in the driveway all week and stay full. Checked everything . Finally tried tightening the bolts between the upper and lower gear cases on the drive. Got about an eighth of a turn on each bolt...leak stopped

Quick Reply: Bravo one oil consumption???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.