Drew Shotgun Silencer Users! >

Drew Shotgun Silencer Users!

Notices

Drew Shotgun Silencer Users!

Old 05-31-2003, 04:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drew Shotgun Silencer Users!

I have found my mystery miss After trying everything AND I MEAN EVERYTHING I had a moment and thought that maybe the silencers might be causing the miss...I wired them open and WHOLA.....G O N E Now for those of you who havent' had the pleasure of reading my soap-oprea about my problems here is part of the story. I had a "miss" that started at 3000 and lasted till about 4500rpms...The miss was ONLY at cruise.....I have spent probally 30 hours and lost twice that chasing this thing down....Well I wired the Shotguns open and GONE NO MISS..Actually I think the "miss" was the sound of the Shotguns intermittintly not working at that rpm/backpressure....The noise of them "sticking" seems to have been my problem all along! Now the question is WHY and How to fix it. Im thinking less pressure on the recoil arm is needed. Both arms open and close without any binding or catching.. I think they need exert less force on keeping the butterflies closed.....I dont' see a adustment for this....Comments anyone???

BH
Attached Thumbnails Drew Shotgun Silencer Users!-sg.jpeg  
Old 05-31-2003, 06:15 AM
Registered

I have my shotguns set up very loose. I'm running stock HP500's and the shotguns are bouncing open even at idle. They go partial open as soon as I'm a bit above no wake speed.

To adjust them to open sooner, make sure that the "spring arm" is attached to the butterfly in the hole that is closest to the butterfly pivot. If that doesn't make it loose enough, try calling Drew Marine and checking if the spring can be cut and stretched or if he has lighter springs to try.

Good Luck!
Old 05-31-2003, 10:29 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Take the piviot arm out of the body. This arm rides on a bushing. You'll need to lubricate this bushing with some marine grease. Now take the cylinder apart. It's a really simple contraption. Lubricate the plunger bushing with some more marine grease. Reassemble using red locktite.
Old 05-31-2003, 10:40 AM
Registered

I will try the closest hole on the body...Also Everything seems to move without any binding. Im thinking I just need lighter springs. I will also lube everything up real good. Cord have you had this problem or heard of it? Sounds like you might have some experence in this area

BH
Old 05-31-2003, 04:37 PM
Registered

Too Old...Isn't that the thingy from the Prozac commercial

BH
Old 05-31-2003, 06:56 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Yes, I had a set on my old boat. They worked pretty good. After I had a set for a while, I noticed that one of the blade bushings had cracked a weld. A closer examination showed that only 1 wasn't broken. I called Drew up and he blamed it on the shaft not being lubricated. He said that the shaft would bind and then twist the welds thus breaking them. Now there can't be all that much force on the throttle blade, but the welds are really tiny so it proably doesn't take much to break them.
Old 06-01-2003, 12:03 AM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Mine have been on my boat for 5 years. I've never touched them since installation. Never had ANY trouble with them. No misses. No opening issues. Just good muffled idle sound. And ask anyone who boats with me on Tuesday nights, I am loud and throw a lot of water out of my pipes at WFO. I have them set on the loosest setting possible. I am a very happy customer with ALL of the Drew Marine products I have on my boat.

'Foul
Old 06-01-2003, 08:05 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 132 Likes on 46 Posts

I have two pair, and they work very well.
I purchased them direct from Drew, and he set them up (spring pressure) for my engine (cid,rpm,horse power). He explained that if they are purchased from a parts dealer they might not be set up properly. This seems logical, since a small block will not move the volume of air a big block will.
You can also adjust the butterfly by loosening the cap screw on the arm that the shaft passes through, holding the arm and opening the butterfly slightly. Lubricating the spring shaft is also important. Give him a call, nice guy to work with.www.drewmarine.com
Old 06-01-2003, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally posted by Cord
Yes, I had a set on my old boat. They worked pretty good. After I had a set for a while, I noticed that one of the blade bushings had cracked a weld. A closer examination showed that only 1 wasn't broken. I called Drew up and he blamed it on the shaft not being lubricated. He said that the shaft would bind and then twist the welds thus breaking them. Now there can't be all that much force on the throttle blade, but the welds are really tiny so it proably doesn't take much to break them.

Are those the ones I purchased from you a couple of years ago???

They still work and look great but sounds like I better strip them down and lube them.
Old 06-01-2003, 09:35 AM
Registered

The control arm has multiple positions to allow for adjustment: top hole is slowest position & bottom is fastest opening rate. Drew does recommend that you lube the shaft,bushings & recoil cylinder. I have always lubed mine a couple times per season, and they work great. You can use a stiffer or softer spring also. I would call Drew to discuss.

Quick Reply: Drew Shotgun Silencer Users!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.