Trim Switch help?? >

Trim Switch help??

Notices

Trim Switch help??

Old 06-09-2003, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trim Switch help??

I have a drive trim rocker switch on my dash that works in the up / down (in/out) position. I have Kiekhafer Zero Effort throttles and the switch does not work in the up (out) position. I replaced the switch but it still doesn’t work. I did realize through further troubleshooting that the original switch wasn’t bad.

I have a heavy gauge blue wire and purple wire spiced together to a wire end that is connected to the up (out) position of the rocker switch and I have power to both wires when the switch is activated. The Blue with white tracer wire from the throttle switch is connected to a purple wire but I can’t trace the purple wire as it is in a wire loom in the gunwale. I have power to the switch in the throttle but it doesn’t operate the trim in the up position. I finally got tired of trying to trace it that I installed a jumper from the blue/white wire from the in throttle trim switch to the purple wire on the dash rocker switch. The throttle switch now works fine in all positions however, I don’t have a trim limit in the up (out) position. This doesn’t bother me from a driving perspective. It bothers me because I wasn’t able to find the problem and although it works, it is not fixed “correctly.” Yes, I am kinda anal like that.

So, where does the throttle switch get it’s input for trim limit? Can someone tell me how this should be wired up or where to start to find my dead connection? Sorry this is so long.

Thanks in advance.

Chris
Old 06-09-2003, 07:47 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having the same issue. Switch on the dash works to "trailer" the drive, but the handle switch will work only in the
"down" mode. Will not raise the drive. So, make it easy on me, which two wires do I need to jump/splice together to "hotwire" my throttle switch???

'Foul
Old 06-10-2003, 06:06 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Right off the trim pump there are two bullet connectors, I think a purple and red. These will connect to two black wires going through the transom. If you connect these two together it will eliminate the trim limit switch in the transom, which is why your trim up in the handle doesn't work. I usually make a jumper with a bullet connector on each end and connect it right by the trim pump, but you can cut the black wires going through the transom and butt splice them also, inside the boat of course.