Gauges...weird..weird >

Gauges...weird..weird

Notices

Gauges...weird..weird

Old 06-09-2003, 04:33 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Gauges...weird..weird

83 Scarab.. new alternator..(switched fron a 3 wire Motorola to a 1 wire Delco) Alternator shop told me to convert to tape up the extra wires hook up the positive and a good ground.. CORRECT??? new battery( don't belive Sears when they tell you its fully charged.. NOT).. port volts read 11-12 at idle 13+ when running... IS THERE A EXTERNAL VOLTAGE REGULATOR??? I DIDN'T THERE IS???

(I WANT TO TEST OUTPUT VOLTAGE ON ALT. W/ DIGITAL METER.) . STARBOARD CONST. AT 13+.. PROB.#2 OIL TEMP GAUGES... OIL PSI ON BOTH 60-80 PSI BUT TEMP ON STARBOARD WILL CLIMB TO ALMOST 300 WHEN RUNNING HARD PSI STILL 60-80..slow down and temp goes to 120... just noticed the engine water pump leaking at shaft seal... minimal will that effect?? port enging oil temp only regesters after I run a while and slow ... WTF??? BOTH HAVE REMOTE OIL FILTERS W/ SENDING UNITS ON THEM... OIL DOSNT FOAM.... HELP???
Old 06-09-2003, 09:54 PM
MAKDADDY

Buddy of mine just went through this on a scarab 38 KV.
he had one engine that did not get hot at the oil filter. it also dropped oil pressure. 0 at idle ok at power 50 pounds. he ran an external oil pressure gauge. (car type) it read 10 pounds at idle? to make a long story short, the engines oil pickup was clogged.had a lot of loose silicon from the engine rebuild. cracked a steel crank on the river at the journal. new motor fixed the oil pressure problem at idle. And everything was fine after that. Oh his oil heat problem was a clogged cooler to the remote oil filter, it was restricted as well. if you think the gauges are screwy switch the wiring from the port temp sending unit to the starboard
see if the readings change.
Good luck
Greg

Old 06-10-2003, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only way to TRULY fix that problem is to replace the gauges with a 33' Scarab!!!!!
Old 06-10-2003, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The delco one wire alt works great, & sounds like you wired it up correct. The alt. will not start putting out until you rev it up past idle. Voltage regular is built in alt.

On Oil temp run temp wires & swap gauges. See what that does.
Old 06-10-2003, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys... Bigdaddy.. why would I want to go to a "SMALLER" BOAT?????... Now if it was a Blue 38' we'ed talk!!!!