Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Water Pump Runs - No water comes out of Sink?? >

Water Pump Runs - No water comes out of Sink??

Notices

Water Pump Runs - No water comes out of Sink??

Old 06-10-2003, 07:19 PM
bn
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Water Pump Runs - No water comes out of Sink??

Yes, there's water in the tank.

I just bought the boat, it's a 2002 31 Sonic. When we were looking the boat over on Saturday, everything worked fine. Water came out of both sinks and the transom shower.

We then tested the a/c hooked up to a garden hose on the hull. We test drove the boat and then brought it home. (6 hour ride, some bumpy interstates)

On Sunday morning, we went to try the water and nothing comes out of any of the sinks or the transom shower. The motor is running, I can see it vibrate a little and can hear it running.

I disconnected each of the 2 hoses, 1 at a time, and no water came out of either side.

Help anyone?????????????
Old 06-10-2003, 07:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought my boat and had the same experience. Water worked and then it didn't. Turned out the tank didn't have a vent in it and the pump couldn't prime any more. It was sucking the tank in and collapsing it. Drilled a little tiny hole in the top and now it works fine
Old 06-10-2003, 07:57 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pump probably lost its prime
Old 06-10-2003, 08:12 PM
bn
Registered

Ok, how do I get it's prime back?

(Is it kinda like "How Stella Got her grove back" )

Seriously, going with Steve'O's theory, I just went out and removed the water fill cover, tried it and nothing happened. I thought that this would simulate drilling a hole in the tank, but it still didn't work.

Do I really have to find the tank and drill a hole in it or did removing the fill cover actually simulate venting it?
Old 06-10-2003, 08:42 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes,pulling the cap vented it, so that's not it. You may have a piece of debris in the hose or fitting, try blowing back up the line and see if it clears. If there is something in there you will have to get to the tank and clean it out or it will keep clogging. It may be something as simple as a bug or a leaf.
Old 06-10-2003, 08:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sure you have a vent on the water tank side of the boat, my 26 Prowler has one. I sure wouldn't go drilling a hole, maybe try blowing back into the vent and see if you can pass air through. By the way, congrats on the new boat! It looks sharp, sure wish I had a 31. Steve
Old 06-10-2003, 08:43 PM
Registered

I think that removing the water fill would have been sufficient. I would rig up a little test with a little pc. of hose on the pump in a bucket of water and see if it pumps that short distance. If it does then maybe the line is plugged or there is a little leak somewhere and it is sucking air. Just my .02
Old 06-10-2003, 08:56 PM
Registered

I do not know about boats, but my MH has a valve that is used to fill the tank up when on city water. When valve is open the pump will never pump up the system since it is sending the water back to the tank. Not sure what pump you have but I have seen the valves go bad so it will run but no water will pump. If you can get to pump pull the pressure side off, install a short hose & see if it pumps water. If not then you either have bad valves (you can buy valve kit) or something is keeping water from getting to pump.
Old 06-10-2003, 09:07 PM
bn
Registered

Ok, I just tried removing the hose from the tank side. Water continuously pours out of the hose from the tank. There must be a vacuum from the tank through that hose.

I just tried priming it with a small water spray bottle.

I tried spraying water in, then re-connecting the hose, and then turning it on - nothing

I tried disconnecting both hoses on either side, spraying water in from the tank hose side while the pump was running - still nothing at all came out (I thought some spray would come out the other side)

Is the spray bottle not enough to prime it? Or do I need to get something in there like a funnel full of water or a turkey baster? Should it be running while I'm trying to prime it?

I couldn't even get the water bottle up next to it to spray directly in there. I was spraying on an angle.

Thanks 509 SC! I really like the Prowlers too. They are a great boat!!
Old 06-10-2003, 09:40 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Those water pumps are self priming - they will lift water about 10 feet. If you have wate coming out of the inlet hose if you remove it from the pump and the pump is running and no water is coming out of the outlet side of the pump then it is bad. You can get those pumps at most boat places. Just make sure you get one with the same GPM as the old one. Or maybe go a little bigger.

Quick Reply: Water Pump Runs - No water comes out of Sink??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.